HELP! - which card do i get???? -VOODOO or RIVA (etc.) Games compatibility....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! - which card do i get???? -VOODOO or RIVA (etc.) Games compatibility....

HELP! - which card do i get???? -VOODOO or RIVA (etc.) Games compatibility....

i have a AMD K6/2 350. i have a 1mb graphics card(!). i need a 2d/3d. i don't know whether to get a voodoo 3, or a riva TNT or other (even a seperate 2d and 3d setup - 2 cards). what do MOST games require - do some require OpenGL and some Glide - does voodoo support both OpenGL and Glide? - is there a standard? - what's the difference between OpenGL and Glide?
    Pleeease help me,
    (u can always email me carlos8008@aol.com)

ta

Hello, I read that you need help in picking out graphic card and I like to clear one thing up that Glide is dying. OpenGL is what professional gamer use because it offer powerful 16bit and 32bit resolution with all the works. Quake2, Quake3 used OpenGL, and all the up coming games will use OpenGL.

Lucky, I have 350mhz AMD which I can tell you my experience that using Ultra TNT2 and the latest driver from Nvidia which contain 3DNow instruction which will boost extra fps (frame per second) of about 20-25fps on top of your regular fps. Use mine for example: I get regular 35-40fps and when I installed the latest driver that contain 3DNow instruction I now getting 55-60fps.

Now, graphic card question, hercules Ultra TNT2 is the unbeatable card because it is very compatible with super7 motherboard and it doesn't takes alot of power from your computer system.

Hercules Ultra TNT2 covers 2D, 3D, video, and it contain a whooping 32MB to handle graphic animation alone.

My system:

2013 PA motherboard
    350mhz AMD overclocked to 400mhz
    128MB PC-100
    STB 4400 velocity TNT
    Latest Nvidia's driver ver 1.88

Quake2: 800x600 32bit, 57fps
    800x600 32bit, 65fps (overclocked the graphic card with powerstrip
    program).

Now, that was just using the regular TNT and can you imagine using the hercules Ultra TNT2.

Want more details about it, go here:

http://www.anandtech.com/html/review...m?document=959

Hope this gives you the basic understanding.....

Cheers!!

Karl
    TEN REASONS TO PROCRASTINATE:

#1....

I dare you to find one for sale!

My advice is that not to go with TNT/TNT-2 unless you have a Pentium II 350+ or a AMD K6-2 400+ processor. TNT/TNT2 are very CPU dependent, you either suffer huge frame decrease (with a slow CPU) or tremendous increase (with a fast CPU)

I will recommend those K6-III owners to get a TNT/TNT2 card since 1st they have a fast CPU and a 3D Now driver optimization in the future will give the card a lot of boost. For those with slow K6/2 CPU, the Voodoo Banshee and the Voodoo3 is a better choice, also consider Savage 4 if u want better image quality.

------------------
    GyX

Okay are we going to start with this glide is dying crap again qkarl, cause its not. There are many games that support glide, maybe not specifically like in the beginning but its still being supported. Unreal is a big example it was meant to be played on glide and it runs the best with it. The upcoming Unreal tournament has native glide support and it will also be the best to run it with. The upcoming descent3 also has native glide support and it also runs best with glide, the demo of it doesnt run very good with direct3d and if you have a glide compatible card, namely a voodoo3 you can get much better performance and graphics.
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

I agree with Vidfreek.. I had a TNT and suffered with games support, like Unreal, Fifa 99 and NFS3... now I purchased a Voodoo3 and all these games run very faster, and with much more quality than with TNT...

In theory TNT is better (larger textures, 32 bits), but in many games the Glide support makes the difference.. these 3 games are only examples.

Glide are dying..dying...dying...

It is only a matter of time.

qkarl

#1....

me again!, sorry to sound a bit thick but - do i take it that Glide (which IS '3dfx' or 'voodoo') has more support - games wise - than OpenGL (which TNT supports)? So if i but a TNT/other, and a game that supports 3dfx or d3d then i can only use the d3d option because the TNT card only supports OpenGL/d3d? - please reply --- i'm nearly there!

Glide / OpenGL / D3d ... If you want a setup to be able to run all of these types of games then you should have a setup like mine or somthing like it...

CL Ultra TNT2 agp ( 32megs)
    Monster 3D2 V2 12meg SLI

This is a setup on a PIII 450 system.

Having both of these in my system allows me to have choices in my gaming experiance. At this point in time in reguards to 3D cards I belive TNT / TNT2's are the best but because of glide based games i.e: Tribes / Unreal ect., you also need a 3dfx based card in your system as well. The V2's at least allow you to have the TNT cards work with them in the same machine. I wished 3dfx could make a V3 based card that could be PCI and allow me to connect to my AGP card like the V2's, like a V3 3D only card .. but the V2's are still a excellent choice for the 3D backup option as well as your only option for glide based games.
    www.savatage.com
    AK-47 -->Guaranteed Y2K compliant !

You can preorder hercules ultra TNT2 from hercules's website:

http://st6.yahoo.com/hercules/dyntnul32dvd.html

qkarl

#1....

How much time? Doesnt seem to be for a while!
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Not true...there are more games which use Direct X and OpenGL than Glide.

There are only few games for Glide like Unreal, etc...

The graphic industry are trying to come up with a standard which OpenGL wins the most support.

OpenGL is an open format, where Glide is a proprietary format which the industry are trying to steer away from.

qkarl

#1....

I would reccomend a VooDoo3 for your system. I am running a K62-350 @ 400 and I recently tried out a Viper770. It would only run one of my games and it looked worse than my old voodoo1 card. I tried updated drivers, new bios, game patches and reinstalling games but nothing worked. After several frustrating days I exchanged itfor a VooDoo3 3000. I just plugged it in and installed the drivers and everything ran great. I had heard so much about the better video quality of the TNT2 card I decided to give it a try but was sorely dissapointed. I would stick with a VooDoo 3 for and AMD system.
    "Computers work, people should think."

1999 (and beginning of 2000) games will use the following api's:

D3D above 90%
    Glide about 20%
    Opengl about 5%

People seem to think Opengl is everywhere in gaming. The fact is: outside of quake-engine games, there are very very few opengl games.

I'd recommend a TNT2 for better D3D and opengl. For game compatibility I'd recommend a V3.

If you plan on buying a next generation card this fall, I would buy a cheap V3. If you plan on waiting till next year sometime, I would get a TNT2.

qkarl - I know you can preorder the Herc, but for someone like me that's a problem. I have a new system in which I'm using a friends 2d only ISA card, until I can get a good AGP card. I can't find a Herc or a Creative Labs card anywhere. You should see Unreal on this 2d card...can't even tell what your looking at.

Thread Information