help please - how to clone a laptop drive so i can upgrade to ssd
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: help please - how to clone a laptop drive so i can upgrade to ssd

help please - how to clone a laptop drive so i can upgrade to ssd

hi folks, I've cloned hardrives before on my desktop using acronis plenty of times - using the free version that Seagate and WD dish out with their drives but this has me a bit stumped.

the wifes laptop has been slowing down so I grabbed bargain on black Friday and got an OCZ 240gb drive. however as its a laptop I have no spare place to plug in the second drive to clone across to it. last night I tried plugging both drives into my normal pc in addition to my normal drives and to clone from there but I couldn't boot - presumably because it was finding two drives with an MBR

any advice or alternatives ways of doing this would be appreciated

thanks

WB

Instead of cloning, make an image BACKUP of the original drive to an external USB hard drive, install the SSD, and then RESTORE the backup onto the SSD.

Verify the version of Acronis you are using. It would need to be at least the TI 2011 equivalent to properly recognize SSDs. Otherwise, you'll have to do a realign after the restore.

The way I did it last year on my Dell Inspiron, was to connect the ssd via usb, then clone with Acronis and finally, install the ssd in the laptop hard-drive bay.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    The way I did it last year on my Dell Inspiron, was to connect the ssd via usb, then clone with Acronis and finally, install the ssd in the laptop hard-drive bay.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, EVGA GTX 1080, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Intel 750 pci-e x4 SSD 800gB, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Dell P2715Q 27" Ultra HD 3840x2160 4K LED IPS Monitor, Windows10 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    +2.

thanks folks, happy to report now all done!

You are welcome!
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Thread Information