Who makes the best TNT2 Ultra?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Who makes the best TNT2 Ultra?

Who makes the best TNT2 Ultra?

I am looking for the BEST TNT2 Ultra, but I dont really care about software, TV Input/Output, Price, etc.
    All I really care about is speed, quality, RAM, and whether or not the company will be making SLI'able drivers in the future.
    Thanks for any input.

All Intel lovers are heretics!

If you're after speed go for the Hercules TNT2 Ultra. It's clocked at 175/200 mhz, got 5.5 n.s. RAM, and is more overclockable than other Ultra's. I think the price without TV-out is set to 230$.

i got the viper v770 Ultra and it's FAST!!!
    QUAKE 3 runs great on gamespy.Fragging them all with TNT2. IT is a high tec card it takes time 2 tweck it out ( 1 or 2 days to get it runing fast)there are so many options on the card

------------------
    Rocafella
    Rocafella

I own a Viper V770 Ultra and it runs awesome! It will run at Boost Level 5 (175mhz core/200mhz memory) all day long, super smooth, and the image quality is excellent. It has 32MB of 5.5 ns memory. I know you said software is not an issue, but if it is included what the hell right? (it comes with Superbike, Heavy Metal Country (both full versions), and a partial version of Need for Speed III. It also has great drivers. One interesting feature is that every time you run a 3D software title the drivers create a profile for that particular title. This way you can set different titles to run with different 3D features or different boost levels, etc. Definitely worth the money!

------------------
    DTECH
    DTECH

Gonna be honest with you guys....
    Hercules Ultra TNT2 is unbeatable right now in terms of overclockablity.

Think about it..the default is 175mhz/200mhz and Anandtech.com had tested it beyond 190mhz/220mhz without failing.

Other so called "Ultra TNT2" haven't been so lucky.

AMD is GOD, you're better off with Hercules Ultra TNT2..

AMD rocks!!

qkarl
    TEN REASONS TO PROCRASTINATE:

#1....

I must admit the the Hercules seems impressive as well and I'm sure it will last and perform (my old system has a Hercules Dynamite 128 2D and a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 so I'm a fan of both companies), but just like with overclocking a CPU, memory, etc., if you push any card too hard it will either be unreliable or burn out prematurely. In the case of video cards, they are much more temperamental than CPUs or DIMM's for that matter so I would overclock sparingly with a Hercules if you buy one. If you really want to you can overclock the Diamond further by using a utility called Powerstrip. Besides, the benchmark results for the 185 or 190 (I believe the 185 and 220 memory was the stable setting even though it did 190 in some tests) will only give you a marginal increase. It will not be noticable if you get an additional 1-4 fps when your fps are already as high as the high double digits and in some cases triple digits.

------------------
    DTECH
    DTECH

I will voutch for Dynamite Hurcules UTNT2 also, I did some research and it's the best one from what I can determine.

OC9

Yeah, but where can you get one?

I know you think the Herc card is great but it is not the best...is only supports 2x agp and it only supports DIME and NOT DMA...Read Below.....

Local texturing (direct memory access DMA)
    In local texturing mode, the graphics card copies entire textures from the system memory into the onboard frame buffer memory Then it moves it to the graphics processor.

Direct memory execute (DIME)
    In direct memory execute mode, the card goes directly to the system memory for textures to pull them into the graphics processor. This allows the card to use as much memory as it
    needs instantly instead of relying on onboard memory. This is also a dynamic allocation; when the memory is no longer required by the software, it returns it to the system for other uses. AGP cards that use direct memory execute may or may not be able to use local memory also.

Local texturing and direct memory execute (DMA/DIME)
    AGP cards that support both local texturing and direct memory execute use the system memory for textures to pull them into the graphics processor. This allows the card to use as much memory as it needs instantly instead of relying on onboard memory. Then it uses the local memory (on the card) for the frame and Z-buffering.

The herc card only supports DIME and the Viper 770 Ultra supports both DIME and DMA, so i believe the viper to be a better card..
    this may not make alot of difference but then again when i overclock the Viper to the herc's speeds who do you think will run faster?

thanks for your time,

Dale H.

They will perform the same
    but when you overclock the Herc it will run faster than the Diamond.

Heh..heh!!...

Hercules rocks!!

qkarl
    TEN REASONS TO PROCRASTINATE:

#1....

i don't know which is the better card, but the Hercules is definantly the faster card.

even when you do overclock the dynamite to it's fastest speeds, it's only about 5-8 fps faster... considering the dynamite isn't even out (retail) and will cost quite a bit more, I think the v770u is a better buy.. penny for penny

I don't trust Hercules products.
    no one I know has one, and I'm one to test things out before wasting money on them.

I've always been happy with Diamond products
    and the drivers for the v770 sound better than the ones for the Hercules... that really doesn't say much for either company, but if they take the time to make stuff like that, that does say a lot.

As for TV-Out, etc... I think that function is highly overrated.
    dvd still runs at horrible resolutions on your tv
    and games never look right

------------------
    thanks,
    klymacks (The Pinnacle of All Pinnacles)

[This message has been edited by klymacks (edited 06-11-99).]
    thanks,
    klymacks (The Pinnacle of All Pinnacles)

Yeah, you said you didn't like that movie "Very bad things" either, and it was a laugh-a-minute.

Thread Information