Windows 8.1 no discount
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows 8.1 no discount

Hybrid View

Post Windows 8.1 no discount

Unlikely to affect members here but

Microsoft won't discount Windows 8.1 upgrades
    It's free to Windows 8 users, but anyone with the older Windows 7 must pony up full price -- $120 or $200

Computerworld - Microsoft today announced that it will charge full price for Windows 8.1 upgrades from Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Customers already running Windows 8, however, will receive the update -- which is slated to hit the Windows Store Oct. 17 and reach retail Oct. 18 -- free of charge.

Downloads or retail packages containing a DVD of Windows 8.1 will cost $119.99, said Microsoft spokesman Brandon LeBlanc in a post to a company blog Tuesday. The more capable Windows 8.1 Pro will be priced at $199.99.

Those prices are identical to the current costs of Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro for users who want to upgrade from an older edition of Windows...

Full story,
    Click HERE

Update
    Related,

Microsoft kills OEM/System Builder and upgrade editions of Windows

There are two types of licenses for the OEM/System Builder Windows 8 product: 1. OEM 2. Personal Use. The product is the same for both, but upon installation, one of the two license must be accepted, depending on the use. The OEM license allows the OEM to resell the PC. The Personal Use license is for individuals who are building (and supporting) their own PCs. Neither are transferable once on the PC, but the OEM license allows for transferring the entire PC to different users...

Full story available at InfoWorld,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

MSFT must be getting more confident that it has it right this time. It took a lot of heat on 8.0.

I still think I will stick with Windows 7.

Same here.

I do like the ideas of Windows Red though.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

That's pretty interesting in concept-desktop and mobile aspects. I have finally made the leap to a smart phone, having avoided it for years, and part of my learning curve has been to figure out that I really shouldn't use a phone browser for sites I routinely use if there is a mobile app available-much easier on the eyes. But I still use a mobile browser on occasion. I thought I read that Firefox mobile allowed pages to be read on a mobile-screen scale, but either I have not figured out how to do that yet or it works on a web page by web page basis, and not web-wide.

Borrowed from another site:

Get Windows 8.1 Pro for $80!

Well, actually it's $78.75

Right now Amazon.com is selling the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for that price.

As noted in my article Microsoft prices Windows 8.1, any current Windows 8 user will be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free, so you can get the Windows 8.1 Pro version for less then $80, instead of the announced $199.99 ERP price.

If you need information on how to do a clean install with the Windows 8 upgrade, read my article How to do a clean Install with the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

Windows 8.1 RTM has been released to TechNet and MSDN subscribers.

Windows Secrets > Touring through the final Windows 8.1
    By Woody Leonhard on September 18, 2013 in Top Story

After much public criticism and internal debate, Microsoft made an abrupt about-face and released Windows 8.1 RTM to TechNet and MSDN subscribers -- well before the OSís public debut.

With release-to-manufacturer, Windows 8.1 is effectively complete and will roll out to Windows 8 users in mid-October.

As reported in a ZDNet story and other sources, Microsoft initially decided that TechNet/MSDN subscribers (Microsoftís developer "partners" -- a term I use loosely) would see official Windows 8 RTM bits at the same time as everyone else -- the reported Oct. 18 general-availability release date, when consumers will be able to download the Win8 upgrade.

Developers, support people, and folks who write about Windows 8.1 (like me) hit the roof. Leaving IT professionals in the dark until everyone gets the bits is just (to use Bill G.ís favorite word) "stupid!" But, as noted in a Neowin.net article, sanity eventually prevailed and the near-final, final Win8.1 suddenly appeared on the TechNet and MSDN software-download sites.

Thatís fortunate for all of us; we can now take an early look at the official Windows 8.1 RTM and not have to rely on "pirated" copies.

[...continues...]
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thread Information