[RESOLVED] Chromecast.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Chromecast.

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Chromecast.

I am trying to figure out this new device, looking for a simple answer. I have cable Internet with a proven speed of 30Mbits speed which is pretty good for watching TV programs from Internet sites. I also have a router for my home network. The router also works fine. Beside the desktop I also have a laptop which mostly use with network. On each PCs I watch for instance foreign TV programs when they are made available by the TV stations, i.e. ARD from Germany or BBC from the UK. Can I use the Chromecast from GOOGLE to watch these programs by plugging in the device into an available HDMI port since the device works on Wi-Fi. Can anyone explain whether this would work or not: getting to the website on the laptop for instance, switch the TV to the HDMI port were the Chromecast is connected.

So far I have not found a clear-cut answer to this question.

"I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks Shinma. I'd like to believe what the guys says in his article. I have Google Chrome installed and therefore I should be able to use Chromecast to watch TV programs directly from the website to the TV. Am I right by expressing it this way?

From the article,

"This kind of remote control capability only works with apps and sites that directly support Chromecast..."

And that device is still a work in progress.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks Shinma. Now I am getting really confused. My understanding now is, it would not work as I described it. Right?

Short answer,
    Officially NOT supported.

With that said,
    If you purchased one before/without the recent update plus using third party app, it should work.

If you purchase/use a recent/updated one, it will not work.
    Unless another third party app has been developed & distributes a workaround.

Keep in mind that third party developer(s) may or may not create/distribute new apps depending on circumstances.
    e.g. If developer(s) get fed up with Google frequently changing it with updates and intentionally breaking the apps, not profitable...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks Shinma. That was clear enough for me. It does not work!!! What a sh...!! Have to use the old method with my laptop and an HDMI cable. I know there are devices that one can plu-in a TV and use Wi-Fi but my flat screen 37" does not have a plug for this device. The next TV will have all of this.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MKR
    ... I know there are devices that one can plu-in a TV and use Wi-Fi ... The next TV will have all of this.
    WiFi capability may be justified, if wireless is a must, but a full out "Smart TV" may or may not be of interest, depending on your situation.

Keep in mind that wireless standards/specifications change
    so
    The effectiveness/lifespan of the wireless component of the tv is anyone's guess.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Yeah, I'd rather "waste" $35 on Chromecast to have a great Netflix/YouTube app than have a crappy version embedded in my TV. "Smart" TVs are IMO an horrible idea from the start.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

"I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information