[RESOLVED] Windows 7 slow to boot
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 7 slow to boot

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Windows 7 slow to boot

I have a friends Acer Aspire M1930 computer here that takes about 8 min 30 sec from the time you press the power button to when the desktop is up and you can load programs.

Specs are here http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/cont...t/PT.SGC02.017

It has 4 GB ram and has Office 2010.

He has had it for about 2 years and about 3 weeks ago it started to take this long to boot.

Every time windows is booting is displays the windows error recovery menu.
    If you choose Launch Startup Repair it tries to repair windows but after about 18 minutes it says it can't.
    If you choose Start windows normally it takes the 8 mins to load. Soon after choosing this option, it displays the windows logo and 'loading windows' text but seems to pause there for about 5 min and I can't hear the hard drive reading. Then I hear the hard drive for a few seconds, a black screen and the mouse cursor appear for about 1 min, then the welcome screen appears.

When Windows has loaded the computer is quick.

Other things I have done:
    Full scan with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes with the latest definitions. Didn't find anything.
    Ran the sfc /scannow. Didn't replace any files.
    Scandisk the C drive. No errors.

Is there any way to fix it or do I need to format?
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ELF2000
    ... about 3 weeks ago it started to take this long to boot...
    Restore system back to a date prior to the "3 weeks"
    Since date corresponds roughly to monthly Windows Update period,
    One of the hotfix(s) or optional driver update may have wreaked havoc with the system.

If unable to do so,

Tutorial/link,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If it was mine, I would backup the personal data, add a 4GB ram stick to benefit from dual channel (would greatly improve the graphic performance and then reinstall or use the Acer restore to restore the computer to it's original state.

Time is money, so no use spending hours trying to find a problem that might be very hard to find.
    Last edited by glussier; August 10th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Thanks for the quick replies

System restore has been disabled. After looking at the event viewer I found the date that the computer developed a slow boot time. As there are no updates or programs installed close to that date I am going to restore the computer to it's original state.

I have backed up personal data except outlook stuff.
    Would this work to backup email and address in Outlook?
    Last edited by ELF2000; August 10th, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Two additional things you might try that I use with Win 7.....

One is "glarysoft regestry repair"
    http://www.glarysoft.com/registry-repair/

The other is "Ainvo registry defrag "
    http://ainvo.com/index.php?r=program/view&id=8&lang=ene

I have found that many unneeded registry entries and/or a seriously fragmented registry can significantly effect boot times.

I have use both programs ever since XP and I never had a problem with them.... they keep my boot time very low along with Malwarebytes.
    They are well worth a try .

BTW, do you already use a good OS defrag?
    Last edited by Flash; August 10th, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ELF2000
    ... Would this work to backup email and address in Outlook?
    Unable to comment since I do not make use of Outlook.
    With that said,
    Unless you have tested software before and verified that it functions completely,
    You may want to try several methods, just in case.

Another habit that I practice, is to make a image of the partition in question, prior to clean installs and/or testing new software.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Two additional things you might try that I use with Win 7.....

One is "glarysoft regestry repair"
    http://www.glarysoft.com/registry-repair/

The other is "Ainvo registry defrag "
    http://ainvo.com/index.php?r=program/view&id=8&lang=ene

I have found that many unneeded registry entries and/or a seriously fragmented registry can significantly effect boot times.

I have use both programs ever since XP and I never had a problem with them.... they keep my boot time very low along with Malwarebytes.
    They are well worth a try .

BTW, do you already use a good OS defrag?
    Will try the regestry repair program after I image the drive.

The only defrag program on this computer is the Windows 7 one.

I run Outlook 2007, and I use the Microsoft backup utility. Link is here. It gives you the ability to tell it where to create the backup file, such as on an external drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=9003

Once the backup is done, reloading of the .pst file is done via import/export function.

The file may have some real size to it, depending on how long things have been kept.

My .pst file is located under C/users/My Name/app data/local/microsoft/outlook. App data is a hidden folder, so you may need to tell the machine to "show all folders."

EDIT-I should have mentioned that you can also just copy and paste the .pst file to an external. Sometimes the trick is finding where it is.

Would use crystaldiskinfo to check SMART status as well of drives, have seen numerous cases where bad sectors and reallocating slowed up the system badly. However it works fine after it loads up its probably ok.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Copied the .pst file and his personal data to a external hard drive. Restored the computer to it's original state. Reinstalled Office, copied the backup data back to the c drive and all is good.
    Not sure what caused the problem...but it boots up much more quickly now.

Thread Information