Going from a 85% to a 90% effecient PSU worth it?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Going from a 85% to a 90% effecient PSU worth it?

Hybrid View

Going from a 85% to a 90% effecient PSU worth it?

How much actual wattage drop with a given PC going from a 85% efficient PS to a 90% efficient rated around 600w? IOW's when measuring the AC current at the wall, using a 600w supply as the example, how much less wattage could I expect? 5, 10, 15 watts?

Is the extra $$ worth it?
    When not in use, turn off the juice.
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

Instead of asking your question in that form, think of your usage. How much time does your PC spend at idle? Do you game? The reason behind these questions is that your PC will probably spend much of its time at idle or at relatively low power levels, typically something between 50 and 100 watts, and most psu's are less efficient at low power outputs, varying from brand to brand and model to model. So to answer this question properly, you'd need to know your typical usage and then look at a given psu's actual efficiency at that power level. The best psu tests, such as at SPCR and JohnnyGuru will have those figures.

Thanks for those.
    When not in use, turn off the juice.
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

Tutorial/link,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If you were running a significant amount of them 24/7 maybe.. single psu with avg usage? Nah. Unless you're upgrading from a generic or needed the extra amps etc.. i'd not bother.
    R.I.P Rangeral, To one of HWC's best moderators and a great guy

By the way, what does BTW stand for?

It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

Ditto, In almost any cases, upgrading even from a 80+ Bronze to a 80+ Gold or Platinum will not pay for itself unless you use it 24/7 for 2 years or so, especially since Gold/Platinum tend to be very expensive.
    They are fine for replacements or new builds, but upgrading strictly for efficiency would not be worth it IMO, unless it's a from very old standard 80+ design.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information