Dell Inspiron 530 MOBO Not 64-bit????
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Inspiron 530 MOBO Not 64-bit????

Dell Inspiron 530 MOBO Not 64-bit????

From all the info I have been able to gather, it appears the mother board for the 530 does NOT support 64-bit addressing even though it contains the Intel G33 Express chipset.

See the following URL for the full G33 spec which specifically says support for x64:
    http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/G33/index.htm

I put 8GB of memory into the system thinking I could because of the G33 chipset. No matter which x64 OS I put on, it would only see 3.xGB of memory...which indicates the MOBO is only handling 32-bit addressing. Bios reports the full 8GB, but the OS can't and there are no BIOS setting that could "enable" large memory support.

It would appear Dell dumbed down their $&#$^*#&*^ mother board to only use 32-bit even though it uses the G33 chipset...probably to force you to a more expensive model of computer that THEY have enabled for 64-bit addressing.

Can anyone confirm I'm not smoking crack and vouch for my findings?

I am getting a G33 chipset intel board in soon and have been looking at the information. I had to be real particular about the ram I bought.
    From the Link:
    Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Support Delivers up to 17 GB/s of bandwidth and 8 GB memory addressability for faster system responsiveness and support of 64-bit computing.

I assume your board used DDR3?

Dell only offers 4 GB memory support on their product page;
    "Up to 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (667MHz)"

Actually I just bought DDR2....8GB of DDR3 is more than I wanted to spend I think I'm just going to rip out the Dell MOBO and replace it with a REAL G33 one. Can complain too much though....only paid $600 for it.

It's more likely you have a 32bit CPU. What CPU did you get?

I wish that were case....but I got an Intel Core2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz).

If the BIOS doesn't have memory remapping, you're out of luck unless Dell releases a BIOS update.

according to crucial, the max ram on the insp 530 is 4G

yeah..i saw that initially but was hoping it was noted that way because Dell didn't want to support x64 users and just released those BS specs. I saw the G33 chipset was part of the 530 and HOPED that it could do 8GB as thats what the chipset spec claims....but Dell appears to have made their own mods....#&(*#&$. Guess I will just have to replace the MOBO with a REAL G33 one....any recommendations?

even if you get a new board, i doubt it will fit in the dell case nicely. dell power supplies are usually underpowered too.

if you wanted a quad system with 8GB of ram, why didn't you built it yourself? at this rate, you'll probably end up getting a new board, case, and psu anyway.

The Intel board G33 has very little bios adjustments. The chipset will handle fast ram but the faster DDR2 ram requires more voltage than the board will give it. No voltage adjustment available so I am stuck with DDR2 800.

An OEM wants as few user created problems as possible so I suspect they use Intel style board ... no bios adjustments.

Looking at a Gigabyte board and see that it is ATX form factor. I suspect your board/case is mATX.
    at this rate, you'll probably end up getting a new board, case, and psu anyway.
    Last edited by Leoslocks; January 3rd, 2008 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    even if you get a new board, i doubt it will fit in the dell case nicely. dell power supplies are usually underpowered too.

if you wanted a quad system with 8GB of ram, why didn't you built it yourself? at this rate, you'll probably end up getting a new board, case, and psu anyway.
    Because they had a hell of a deal on a quad core so I was able to assemble the following for $680:

Intel Core2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
    256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT
    8GB DDR2 800 Memory
    500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    22 inch Samsung 2220WM Widescreen Analog/Digital Black LCD Monitor
    16x DL DVD+/-RW

I took a risk, so worse case is what you mentioned before...even if I have to buy a new MOBO,case,psu...thats probably another $250....so it costs me $930....still not too bad.

Another possible glitch on reusing the Dell case could be front panel connectors. If the Dell has a single large plug to handle the power switch, leds, etc, and the new board needs individual plugs, you'd have trouble.

I'm curious to know if that's true. If you're inside it, check it out and let me know.

I'll dissect the Dell MOBO/PSU/Connections tonight and post it. If only I was happy with a simple 32-bit/4G system....oh well.

ol' man is offline workin fingas to the bone
    I think you have a good case for returning it too Dell if it does not do 64bit. If enough people complain then maybe they will fix it.

I've attached pics of the Dell 530 MOBO, Front-Panel Connectors (and where they connect on the MOBO), as well as the 350w PSU. This site only has a 100k file size limit so sorry about the image quality...if anyone wants the hi-res images, PM me and I'll send them to you.

I'm looking at replacing this DELL MOBO with one of the following:

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel
    ASUS P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX

I'm leaning toward the GIGABYTE, but I'm not sure of the Dell case front-panel connector compatibility. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

the case to motherboard headers might be a problem. you may need to manually pull the wires out of the power switch/reset header. The usb ones should be ok. one of them is probably for audio, but i couldn't say if that would work on the new board.

make sure the keyboard, usb, network port, etc all match up the in back. If not, you'll need to be able to remove the back plate. I've seen some dell cases that are solid metal in the back.

that psu is skimpy. Don't plan on upgrading your video unless you get a new psu.

That's all i'll say about it. I'll stick to my original advice about a new board, case, and psu.

Thread Information