[RESOLVED] Wiping a locked hard drive
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Wiping a locked hard drive

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Wiping a locked hard drive

I want to wipe an old IDE laptop hdd I bought with two others. The others were fine, but when I tried to test and then wipe this 100G 7200rpm Hitachi hdd I got a lock icon on the Thinkpad T41 I had it in. One of the other drives, when in the Thinkpad for testing and wiping, booted a Mac icon, so this may have been in a Mac.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will get around the lock directly to a wipe or write zeros? I know there are issues of data security here, so a direct wipe will suit me. I can test it after it's wiped. I'm just trying to make this back into a drive I can use. I do have ancient laptops around, so old they would have 8Mb limits, if even that. They should be completely safe in terms of lacking ability to read any data on the drive, but might be able to do something to destroy partitions and data, and the lock.

Or are there tools that will get around the lock to rewrite the drive's firmware, destroying data in the process?

Most of the queries of this nature would be "How do I get around the password (lock in this case) to get my data?" In this case I want to destroy data and make the drive reusable, so data security is not the issue.

You have to put the drive back in the IBM/Lenovo it was in, get into the admin side of the CMOS/BIOS setup, disable (remove) the hard drive protection, save your changes and power down. The hard drive should now be accessible in any other PC.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

It appears to be a lost cause,
    lenovo:

Forgotten Hard drive password

If the user's Hard drive password has been forgotten, check whether a master Hard drive password has been set. If it has, it can be used for access to the hard drive. If no master Hard drive password is available, or if the administrator forgets the master Hard drive password, then the hard drive must be replaced. This replacement process is not covered under the warranty.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

back in the IBM/Lenovo it was in
    As stated in my post, this probably came out of a Mac. It was only in a Thinkpad to test it and wipe it.

It appears to be a lost cause
    Probably. No help at Hitachi. Even to do firmware, I'd need the current firmware, but I can't access that.

It's a pity there isn't a tool to do a direct wipe, which could rescue the hardware while allaying file security concerns. The disposable mindset triumphs again.

I agree.
    Total waste of good hardware.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

IBM/Lenovo also does not have a 'backdoor' for forgotten BIOS admin passwords. The only solution is a new motherboard.
    Doc

\_______/

This is not waste of good hardware, peple buying these notebook, are buying them because of these security features. If anybody could call Lenovo to bypass that security, then it's wouldn't be a security feature anymore.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

I couldn't agree more.
    Doc

\_______/

Thread Information