[RESOLVED] Where's the Headphone Connectors? Acer 8i945ae
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Where's the Headphone Connectors? Acer 8i945ae

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Where's the Headphone Connectors? Acer 8i945ae

I have an Acer 8i945ae board which I'm trying to set up and I'm having trouble getting the facts on it. Motherboard diagram and full details.

Acer don't help. They have an extensive site for self-help but it's all indexed by Computer name rather than board name.

I did manage to figure out that this board came from the Veriton 5800 to 7800 series and downloaded the manual for that.

But the motherboard pic doesn't show details of the front panel header. The pic actually has the front panel header labelled as the 'clear cmos' jumper. Also has the board battery labelled as 'parallel IDE connector'.

So generally it just doesn't help enough to fix this problem.

Can anyone help with this? Anyone got a Veriton and can check the leads for me, anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard
    ... Acer 8i945ae board ... I did manage to figure out that this board came from the Veriton 5800 to 7800 series and downloaded the manual for that.

But the motherboard pic doesn't show details of the front panel header. The pic actually has the front panel header labelled as the 'clear cmos' jumper. Also has the board battery labelled as 'parallel IDE connector'...
    Presuming that you actually meant the front panel audio connector and not headphone connector,

If you have the their User's Guide,
    Refer to pages 44 and 45.

Standard HD Audio header, in the usual location on number of mobos, not limited to Acer brand.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    Presuming that you actually meant the front panel audio connector and not headphone connector,

If you have the their User's Guide,
    Refer to pages 44 and 45.

Standard HD Audio header, in the usual location on number of mobos, not limited to Acer brand.
    I mean the headphone connector.

I want all details of the front panel header on the board, in fact.

I want clarification of a 4 pin USB cable situation I have.

Here's how it is, to start again:

I have the board, I've put it in an old non-acer case.

It is working and now I want to hook up the front panel, and the headphones, and the usb lines to this new old case.

The front panel header has fifteen pins - 7 x 2 and 1 single.

They are labelled beneath the header:

+msg- +pw- nc + act-
    +hd- -rst+ vcc +ood

I've hooked up the on off switch to '+pw-' and that is working okay.

But what do the others mean? I guess -rst+ is reset and vcc would be volts but what's the rest?

And where are the pins for the headphones?

And this old board has a couple of USB ports and lines running from them to the motherboard. But they are only four connector lines. All motherboard USB connectors appear to be 9 pin. What's that about?

Oh, yes, pages 44 and 45. If we've got the same manual we must be talking at cross purposes. Mine only shows you where to plug external devices into the cabinet on those pages. My interest is in making connections on the board, between the cabinet and the board.

'Standard HD audio header in usual location...... etc' is about as useful as me telling an equirer after the post office - 'oh, it's in the usual location..'
    Last edited by abrogard; June 23rd, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard
    I mean the headphone connector...
    There are no "headphone connector" on a mobo.

Have fun in your search for "headphone connector"
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    There are no "headphone connector" on a mobo.

Have fun in your search for "headphone connector"
    +1

The front panel audio header and front system panel header are two completely different things. I couldn't even begin to guess what those acronyms stand for (except the hard drive one). You'll need to contact Acer for a motherboard schematic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Huge; June 24th, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post

The front panel header has fifteen pins - 7 x 2 and 1 single.

They are labelled beneath the header:

+msg- +pw- nc + act-
    +hd- -rst+ vcc +ood
    WAGs:

"+msg-" possibly for a multi-color LED that blinks if there is anything other than normal operation ... part of the normal 'power on' LED

"+pw-" power switch

"nc" no connection

"+act-" activity LED

"+hd-" hard drive activity LED

"-rst+" reset switch

"vcc" power source

"+ood-" <shrug>
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thanks for the input guys, especially doc.

Shinma had me dashing to have a look and sure enough the wire from the 'headphone' socket on the front panel actually came from a tiny circuit board there...

I like that 'ood' shrug. good one.

You're welcome.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Taking a wild guess, OOD might be Optical (something) Drive, an activity led for the dvd/cd.

You're actually ahead of the game. Years ago in a similar situation, OEM board, there was no labeling to even know which was the power switch pin.

Thread Information