rufus 1.3.3 (creating bootable usb drives) released
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: rufus 1.3.3 (creating bootable usb drives) released

Lightbulb rufus 1.3.3 (creating bootable usb drives) released

rufus is a sublimely easy tool for making bootable usb drives from an iso file. I've become a bit of an evangelist for it because I'm so happy after discovering it. It's open source and free and claims to be faster than some of the conventional tools.

Home page HERE

direct download link HERE

I've had some issues with various OS and distros booting or installing on various hardware (amid success also it should be noted), but the causes may have nothing to do with rufus. I've emailed feedback to the developer and had replies, so I'm going to do more testing with this latest release and then provide more feedback.

Thanks for the links. I didn't know about this tool, I will try it tomorrow.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Good to know!
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Update.

Rufus 1.3.3 is giving me an error msg with ISO images for Win 7 and 8 during the usb creation process:

This ISO image contains a file larger than 4GB and cannot be used to boot in EFI mode from USB.

I redownloaded Rufus 1.2.0 and had success. 1.3.3 was able to make bootable drives for two linux images I had but both were cd size images. One could not boot and the other booted but failed to install the live cd. I'm not prepared to blame these on rufus yet, and think these could easily be an issue with the hardware or bios settings used.

I did another test just on a freeDOS boot with rufus 1.3.3 and it was successful, so I'd guess that it should be able to manage a DOS bios update. The earlier rufus releases have a msDOS/iso choice and the recent ones have added freeDOS.

I'm sure there will be further updates to rufus, but for now it's quite usable if you choose your version keeping this information in mind.

Make sure the USB drive isn't FAT32.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

There is a choice for FAT32/NTFS/xFAT and I chose NTFS, but that didn't solve the problem. It's obvious this is a work in progress, but it's still useful at this point within the limitations.

The other versions link under downloads on the main page gives you the 1.2.0 version I reverted to for larger iso's.

Thread Information