[RESOLVED] Best Mobo for Haswell i7 4770
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Best Mobo for Haswell i7 4770

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Best Mobo for Haswell i7 4770

I suppose everyone here has seen the release of the Haswell chips and 1150 mobos today. I want to build a new machine soon. Any thoughts on the top Gigabyte vs. the top Asus mobos? [GA-Z87X-OC vs Z87-Delux] The Asus is about $100 cheaper (under $300 vs about $420 for the Gigabyte). Is the Gigabyte worth the extra dollars?

A related question... When I build the new machine, I would like to move my Win8 Pro (bought when they had the $40 promotion) to the new system. Can I do this? Just install it and let MS authenticate it? Anything special to consider?

From what I've seen of the Z87-OC is that it's catered to the serious overclocker who runs LN2 and open bench setups. As for the price difference, it is because the Asus Z87-Deluxe is not their top-end board. If you want to compare the Gigabyte OC to an equivalent Asus you would need to take a look at something like the Maximus VI Extreme from the ROG Series.

If you're intending to do more gaming instead of record-breaking OCs I'd look a bit lower on the ladder at something like the Asus Maximus VI Gene/Hero or Gigabyte Sniper M5/5.
    For more ideas on the Z87 roster for each company, there's also this great preview at AnandTech, which showcases features and UEFI redesigns as well (Haswell, got it? Ok I'll stop ).

Edit : For the Win8 question, if it's a retail license and you don't plan on keeping it on the old system it should work fine. You'll probably just need to reactivate it.
    Last edited by equinoxe3d; June 2nd, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thank you equinoxe3d. I am going to buy the 4770 that presumably cannot be overclocked (I think the 4770K does that), but has turbo-boost. Your comment is a big help, as there is no reason for me to pay for overclocking design, when I will not be using it.

Yeah, with a non-unlocked processor you can overclock some, but it's limited to one or two steps above the maximum turbo boost bin (so in the lower 4GHz range with a 4770).

Still, you won't need an high-end motherboard to reach that, and even most motherboards have a feature called Multi-Core Enhancement, which already overclocks the CPU a bit out of the box (gives the highest turbo bin for all cores regardless of load, so a quad core workload will run at 3.9 GHz instead of 3.5).

The reasons to have an higher-end board outside of overclocking is additional features you might need (high quality audio, Intel network adapter, Wi-Fi, mSATA, etc.), but they are often available on mid range boards as well. Higher quality on-board audio in particular seems to be in the spotlight for Haswell motherboards across the range.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Quote Originally Posted by equinoxe3d View Post
    Yeah, with a non-unlocked processor ...
    Wouldn't that just be a locked processor?

*runs away*
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lmfbr
    ... move my Win8 Pro (bought when they had the $40 promotion) to the new system. Can I do this? ...
    Since it is not OEM version,
    Legally, yes.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Huge View Post
    Wouldn't that just be a locked processor?

*runs away*
    I'm so used to unlocked processors that my thinking is affected

Thanks for starting that topic.

Haswell non K processors can be overclocked via bclock. You can set bclock to, either 100, 125 or 166mhz while keeping everything else in spec. From there, it's like Ivybridge, you can overclock another 5 to 7% from that bclock setting.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    Haswell non K processors can be overclocked via bclock. You can set bclock to, either 100, 125 or 166mhz while keeping everything else in spec. From there, it's like Ivybridge, you can overclock another 5 to 7% from that bclock setting.

Are you really sure of that ? Apparently the higher BCLK straps are only available on the K models. Also, for Haswell Intel seems to have removed the slight Turbo boost OC on the non-K parts so you're left with minor BCLK adjustments over 100 MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Perspective
    On that note, the crew over at the Tech Report uncovered some rather disheartening facts such that the non-K edition Haswell processors will, essentially, be locked at stock speeds and not overclockable (they are slightly more locked down than previous generations).

While the K edition Haswell processors, such as the Core i7-4770K, will enjoy unlocked multipliers, unlocked GPU and memory clockspeeds, and additional BCLK options, the standard non-K chips (ie Core i7-4770, Core i5-4670, et al) will have locked multipliers, no Turbo Boost clockspeed overclocking, and will not be allowed to use the additional 125 MHz and 167 MHz BLCK options, which effectively makes overclocking these standard chips impossible. It may still be possible to push the BLCK up a few MHz, but without the extra stepping and gearing ratio options, the other component clockspeeds based off that same base clock are going to go out of spec and will become unstable fairly quickly as you try to push that BLCK up.
    Aaaand TSX is not available on their K CPUs Intel might make good CPUs but their market segmentation is borderline retarded IMO.

Yes you are right. I was reading a pre-release review of haswell.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Yeah, I read the pre-release stuff as well and assumed the +400 MHz Turbo Boost bin overclocks would still be available on non-K parts. Now the most that can be done is slight BCLK adjustments and Multi-core Enhancement (ie. apply highest single-core Turbo Boost bin for all cores)

Before someone asks for additional selections,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information