[RESOLVED] Power consumption between different MB chipsets?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Power consumption between different MB chipsets?

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Power consumption between different MB chipsets?

Using the same (or very similar components, is there any power consumption difference between different motherboard chipsets?

Example: AMD 970 vs 990 vs 990FX.

Using the same processor and same number and types of drives and same chipset video card (apples vs apples) is there any lees draw with a 970 vs the step up 990 or 990FX? with no overclocking on processor or video card and running same O/S with the same power settings in the BIOS & the O/S.
    When not in use, turn off the juice.
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

Wikipedia: Comparison of AMD chipsets > A-Link Express III
    AMD 970 chipset TDP 13.6W
    AMD 990X chipset TDP 14.0W
    AMD 990FX chipset TDP 19.6W
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

How would that translate into current draw at 120vac since those figures are at 12vdc?

And no, this is not "resolved" whomever put that there!
    Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill.

I marked it resolved.

Your question was:

Quote Originally Posted by videobruce
    Using the same (or very similar components, is there any power consumption difference between different motherboard chipsets? ...
    SpywareDr provided you with a link displaying differences in TDP

and
    As pointed out at the other forums ([H]ardOCP, AnandTech...) that you posted the same question,
    There is a difference.

and
    If you had searched at the other forum/website you posted in,
    You would have found an article covering the very topic you asked and answered,

And comparing "nForce570 chipset" versus "990FX chipset" is not even close to "Example: AMD 970 vs 990 vs 990FX."
    as you yourself stated, "...Power on old system was around 90-100 watts running (130w while in the BIOS). New system around 100 watts+ running (150w while in BIOS)."

Posted at [H]ardOCP:

Quote Originally Posted by videobruce
    The reason for all of this. My existing system is based on a nForce570 chipset and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 processor. The replacement is a 990FX chipset MB and a FX-6300 processor.

Same everything (including video card) except the addition of a 32GB SSD and substituting a 90+ 550w PS for the existing 430W 80+ PS.
    Power on old system was around 90-100 watts running (130w while in the BIOS). New system around 100 watts+ running (150w while in BIOS).
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

1. TDP tells me absolutely nothing when it comes down to power at the AC outlet. A few watts at 12vdc is meaningless,
    2. That chipset shootout had to do with Intel, not AMD so that is meaningless,
    3. That example I used was going from a older system with a lower efficiency PS with a lower efficiency chipset design (assumption) to current technology,
    4. I always ask around for input from other sources,

Sorry, it's still not resolved AFAIC.

1. Read the AnandTech article.
    2. Incorrect. They are different brands but functions of chipsets are same/similar.
    3. Invalid. Not only did you change the chipset (nVIDIA to AMD, which is nothing like what you posted in the first thread - same brand and family), you changed the processor and added a SSD. Funny definition "same"
    4. AFAIC when all the different knowledgeable sources state basically the same answer, it is highly probable, that is the answer.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

DC watts = AC watts

5V DC @ 1 A = 5W
    5V AC @ 1A = 5W
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Thread Information