[RESOLVED] Replacement Laptop, better or worse??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Replacement Laptop, better or worse??

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Replacement Laptop, better or worse??

Hi All,
    I asked a question about a month ago for my son who is in Afghanistan with a broken laptop about how to transfer files from from external HD to the new HD they were suppose to send to my son. Well the HD never got to him and now I have just requested that they send him a new laptop, its been over 6 weeks now and we are not moving forward at all. So they tell me yes they can send him a new one, but it will take time. 10 days later I send email to my contact at HP and he sends me info today for new laptop. Here is the NEW problem!! My sons computer is a HP Envy (m6?). The graphics on this laptop played my sons games well. Radeon 7660g graphic card. HP tried the first time to replace with Intel 4000 graphics, but I have read and found that to not be a good choice. So I call the guy from HP and tell him that I am getting very fustrated now, that it has been over 6 weeks and nothing is happening, and that 6 weeks to us here in the US with no computer is hard, but to my son, this is a life line and I am getting really pissed off now. So he sends me another email now and this computer is an HP Envy, dv6z-7200 notebook with a amd 7670M graphics. Now from what I am reading this is a crossfire card? I am having trouble finding this out. I now believe that he is trying to make up for it, but i dont really care for the crossfire. We have a desk top at home with the crossfire and ended up pulling out a card just to get it to run! Can you please help me out here and tell me if you believe this is a good replacement for the 7660G. I am just getting brain dead trying to figure it all out.

Thanks a ton!
    Sue

Hi, Sue. I moved your thread to the Mobile Technology forum, where you may get a better and faster response.

Cheers.

Thank You!!

No reasonable companions/comments can be made without the knowing the complete model of the two HP laptops in question.

If you are inquiring about just the video chips,
    The 7660G and the 7670M are similar.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Sorry, I know better then that. Here are the specks for the old (3 month old) computer that my son has now:

Processor Brand AMD
    Processor Platform AMD VISION A10 APU
    Processor AMD A10-Series (Processor Speed 2.3GHz
    Battery Type 6-cell lithium-ion The type of battery used to power the phone, usually NiCd (nickel-cadmium), NiMH (nickel-metal hydride) or LiIon (lithium-ion).
    Display Type High-definition widescreen LED-backlit with BrightView technology (1366 x 768) Technology used to display text and images on the screen.
    System Memory (RAM) 6GB The memory a computer uses to run its operating system, applications and active data files. Greater amounts of RAM improve speed and enable more applications to run at once.
    Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3 SDRAM
    Computer Hard Drive Size 750GB Capacity for storing programs, photos, video, music and other electronic information. Hard drive capacities range from a few gigabytes to several hundred.
    Optical Drive DVD±RW/CD-RW
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7660G discrete-class Type of graphics (video) adapter (usually built into the motherboard), identified by manufacturer and model.
    Video Memory Up to 3053MB total available Manages display functions, including screen refresh rates, resolution and color. The more video memory a computer has, the better graphics and video will look.
    TV Tuner No Enables reception of TV programs.
    MPEG Yes A group of digital video formats created by the Motion Picture Experts Group (MPEG) to compress high-quality video into file sizes small enough to be transmitted over the Internet.
    Built-in Webcam Yes
    Modem None Device that allows a computer to send and receive information over telephone or cable lines.
    Networking Built-in 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) Ability to connect to other devices on a network using Ethernet, Wi-Fi (wireless; 802.11), Bluetooth, etc.
    Wireless Networking Wireless-B+G+N
    Bluetooth-Enabled No
    S-Video Outputs None Connections that deliver separate color and black-and-white video signals through a single cable. S-video connections provide better picture quality than RF and composite video connections but not as good as component video, DVI and HDMI connections.
    Audio Beats Audio
    Speakers Internal
    PCMCIA Slots None Slots in notebook computers that accept credit-card-size upgrade cards. Type I is used mostly for memory, Type II for modem, fax and network cards, and Type III for hard drives.
    USB 2.0 Ports 3 USB 3.0; 1 USB 2.0 Ports that allow high-speed (up to 480 Mbps) data transfer between compatible devices.
    IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports None (Also known as FireWire, Apple Computer's trademarked name for IEEE 1394.) High-speed connection that supports data transfer rates of up to 400 Mbps or 800 Mbps (depending on port version).
    Parallel Ports None Older and relatively slower interface most commonly used to connect a PC to a printer.
    HDMI Output Yes
    Blu-ray Player No
    Operating System Platform Windows
    Operating System Windows 8 The master software that controls hardware functions and provides a platform on top of which any software applications will run. Commonly used systems include Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X for computers and Palm OS and Microsoft Windows Mobile for PDAs.
    Included Software CyberLink Power2Go, CyberLink PowerDVD and more
    Graphics Chip AMD/ATI
    Product Depth 9.9"
    Backlit Keyboard Yes
    Drive Capacity 750GB
    Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 7660G discrete-class
    UPC 887111932785

The unit they want to replace it with:

•Windows 8 64
    •System Recovery DVD with Windows 8 64
    •AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
    •2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7670M Discrete-Class Graphics
    •15.6-inch diagonal High Definition BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768)
    •8GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    •750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    •Microsoft Office Trial
    •No additional security software
    •6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    •SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    •Backlit Keyboard
    •HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone
    •802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)]

Sorry somehow I hit the submit post.
    Here are both units and I am grateful for all responses.

Thanks!

From what has been posted above,
    Systems appear similar and performance should be similar as well.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks Shinma, I was really concerned about the video chip. I will give them the go ahead to ship. Thanks again!

You're welcome.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information