RUMOUR: Return of Start button... Win 8
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RUMOUR: Return of Start button... Win 8

Post RUMOUR: Return of Start button... Win 8

Just a rumour at this point,

Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop

Summary: Microsoft may be moving toward bringing back the Start Button and allowing users to boot straight to the desktop with its coming Windows 8.1 release later this year.

What if Microsoft relented and granted users who are lukewarm about Windows 8 two of their biggest requests: Allow those who want to boot straight to the desktop, and bring back the Start button with Windows Blue, a.k.a. Windows 8.1?

Though supposedly not part of the original plan for Blue, these two UI options are looking more likely.

Reports from a couple of different forums from this past weekend raised the possibility that Microsoft might be moving toward allowing users to skip booting into the Metro-Style Start menu and instead start their PCs in desktop mode...

Full article,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

WinBeta > Microsoft to allow users to jump straight to desktop in Windows 8.1?
    ... after examining the code in twinui.dll, there is a line that is "responsible for disabling the Start Screen" and after disabling or modifying the code it makes the system "go to the desktop automatically."
    Cross your fingers ...
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Can't blame this miscue only on MS, since linux went off the rails earlier with Ubuntu's Unity and Gnome 3 on desktop issues. At least with linux there were alternative desktops.

I'll believe it when I see it...
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

Understandable.

It would be logical to bring back the Start button and boot to desktop,
    So, Microsoft may very well NOT bring it back!
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Another new "get rid of the start screen" app. Looks pretty good.

http://startisback.com/
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

There's an old saying.."If it aint broken, don't fix it".

Obviously, MS has been changing things just for the sake of changing things.......to sell new OS' to people who really do not need a new os.
    People rejected Vista and now Win 8

Will they ever learn? No, they are too dedicated to their misguided mindset to be able to improve a product without changing the character of the product that people love.

Personally I have all my systems set to classic windows style visually and my new win7 sys configured as much as possible to behave like XP.

Both MS with Win8 and Ubuntu with Unity have attempted to make a desktop that works across all devices, but they've infuriated those of us without touchscreens who want a conventional desktop that we're used to.

Latest move in this area is an initiative by Intel toward Android tablet/notebook devices. While many of Intel's moves of this type, such as Ultrabooks, have come a cropper, it's nevertheless significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    ... Personally I have all my systems set to classic windows style visually and my new win7 sys configured as much as possible to behave like XP.
    Ditto.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Microsoft is forcing many to come to the realization they no longer need Microsoft.
    Doc

\_______/

Quote Originally Posted by TechSpot
    ... but clicking on it will simply bring up the tile-based Start screen rather than the old Start menu....
    What a waste of time...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Too little, too late.

So much simpler in life to say "I screwed up, here's the fix..........." Can't believe it doesn't apply in business too. It does where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post

Too little, too late.
    Yeppirs. Looks like the game is now going to be between Android and Apple.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; April 27th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
    Doc

\_______/

DanceMan, which Linux distro are you using/testing nowadays?
    I stopped dabbling with Ubuntu when they switched to the annoying "Unity" GUI.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information