Beware of Kaspersky renewal scams
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Beware of Kaspersky renewal scams

Exclamation Beware of Kaspersky renewal scams

The net is full of renewal complaint about kaspersky.
    The scam works like this ......

One is first pestered to renew months early and it would be added on to the existing license. However, when you do, the new license wipes out the old one and any remaining time on the old license is lost.

This is what people are complaining about and this very thing happen to me. Any and all complaints to "customer support" are replied to with generic messages implying that the user is at fault. and they refuse to deal with it

So if you have have kaspersky do not renew early. Let it expire before renewing. Also when you do renew you now have to check "auto renewal" otherwise it will not go through. Then you have to jump through hoops to cancel auto renewal.......another scam .

It''s about impossible to have any sort of conversation with a real person and everything seems to be handled by auto responses.

I like their AV but this has given me real second thoughts about it.
    Last edited by Flash; March 5th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

I found this info among the many kaspersy renewal complaints........

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375356,00.asp..

It should be noted that I was pestered to renew over two months prior to my present license's expiration .

I had to ask for a refund to use use the remainder of my first license before eventually repurchasing a new one when it expires .

So be careful!

Nice...
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

That's weird.
    I just conducted one of those auto-renewal process, with K.I.S. 2013 and a retail key, about two months ago.
    Did not encounter any shortened time frame...

Did not encounter shortened time frame with K.I.S. 2012 renewal either, last year.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    That's weird.
    I just conducted one of those auto-renewal process, with K.I.S. 2013 and a retail key, about two months ago.
    Did not encounter any shortened time frame...

Did not encounter shortened time frame with K.I.S. 2012 renewal either, last year.
    Yes, that was auto renewal and this is not the problem as described. It only occurs when you renew manually.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375356,00.asp..
    Last edited by Flash; March 6th, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

I guess I was not clear,
    I entered a new retail CD key manually several days, eight days?, before expiry and K.I.S. automatically tacked on an additional 365 days on top of the eight days remaining.

Just noticed, that article is dated over 2 years ago...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks for informing. I am using MS Security Essentials in office and Avast at home so I am safe from such these scams..!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    I guess I was not clear,
    I entered a new retail CD key manually several days, eight days?, before expiry and K.I.S. automatically tacked on an additional 365 days on top of the eight days remaining.

Just noticed, that article is dated over 2 years ago...
    Perhaps you did not read all the info that I posted?

The article might be 2 years old but the info is still valid . I did not imagine what I went through.
    In any event, just Google it .

Update.......
    They discontinued the new license as planned and it expired yesterday .
    However, it was impossible to reinsert the old license that still had a month on it . There was just no option for anything other than purchasing a new license..... contrary to what "support" told me would happen.

So, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it would not reinstall no matter what I did . I even tried to install my CD copy of KAV2012 with no luck. Kaspersy evidently prevents one from reinstalling once a license expires.

SO, I said the hell with it and got and installed "Bitdefender" AV which is suppose to be even better and, it's cheaper . I will be installing it on my other systems tomorrow.
    l really do not need this overly contrived BS from Kaspersky.
    Last edited by Flash; March 7th, 2013 at 05:10 AM.

Evidently, (as I assume) the "letter of destruction" that I had to "sign" before a refund would be issued is preventing me from ever installing Kaspersky on this system unless I purchase a new license even though I still have a valid license. It must be some obscure registry entry, etc.

Also, their "do you want fries with that" customer support neglected to tell me that and had no idea how to solve the real problem even though it appears to be a common one . I tried even called their phone support and waited for over a half and hour while listening to constant messages telling that I should just use their " robot on line support". No one ever did answer. So even their phone line support appears to be non existent.

I understand that Amazon has stopped selling it due to the way it's delivered and activated .

In any event, I am now on the list of irate customers when you Google the Kaspersky scam/experience .
    It's the absolutely worst experience with software customer support in all my decades of computing since the "vic-20".
    It's a a shame too as I actually still like their AV

So, beware!
    Last edited by Flash; March 7th, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Thread Information