Boot Issues with Sata devices
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Boot Issues with Sata devices

Boot Issues with Sata devices

I first noticed this issue with a SATA DVD drive. I have a spare (and newer) IDE drive so thats fine..

BUT, I just got a deal on a 120GB SSD.

BIOS does NOT detect. But Windows DOES

I can boot to my primary HDD and then I can use the SSD as a storage device.
    I was hoping to use it as a boot device though..

My options are limited in BIOS as well..There is no real SATA options..The drives page simply lists..

PRIMARY MASTER
    PRIMARY SLAVE
    SECOND MASTER
    SECOND SLAVE
    THIRD DEVICE
    FOURTH DEVICE

THe third and fourth refer to the SATA devices (I only have 2 SATA Jacks on mobo).
    No options for MODE either...

My HDD is also SATA. BIOS detects and have no issues..the issue only happens on my SATA DVD and SSD.
    Any ideas???

PS:

I heard XP has issues aligning SSD's. I read elsewhere I need 3rd party (now hard to find) alignment tools or use Vista/Win7/Win8 to partition/align/format the drive.

However, I simply used MMC (in XP) to partition and format. Set Allocation size to 4096. Seems to work fine as a storage device. Is this fine or would it be better to try to do the above?

Thanks again for any help

State complete list of components, including brand and full model name/number.
    State configuration.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If you don't have more IDE devices than two and they are on the same IDE channel, you could try disabling the other one just in case (ex: disable Primary IDE if you only use the secondary).
    IIRC with that, you should lose the third and fourth devices in Windows. On my old P4P800 mobo, this option was mostly there because Win98 could not see more than four IDE devices, but I did it as well when I had XP just to be sure and never had any issues with 2 SATA hard drives and 2 IDE optical drives plugged in.

An SSD might be another story though, and you probably can't change the mode because older mobos only used IDE mode for SATA devices (probably to avoid the F6 + floppy with drivers when installing XP)

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    State complete list of components, including brand and full model name/number.
    State configuration.
    Well...I'm not at home (and won't be for a while) but here's as much as I can tell from memory.

KM400 (Came from an HP. This is the kind that ACTUALLY runs at 200/400 fsb)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB HDD Plugged into port labeled SATA#1 BIOS lists as device 3
    OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD Plugged into SATA#2.

DVD RW IDE. Currently plugged into Secondary IDE Master (Sorry don't remember model)

No Manual configuration of drives is allowed in BIOS.
    Tried Auto Detect. This had no effect.
    For all drives that aren't detected in bios, I have forced to NONE (even 4th device where SSD is plugged, this seems to have no effect on Windows ability to see drive).

Quote Originally Posted by eqyubixe3d
    If you don't have more IDE devices than two and they are on the same IDE channel, you could try disabling the other one just in case (ex: disable Primary IDE if you only use the secondary).
    IIRC with that, you should lose the third and fourth devices in Windows. On my old P4P800 mobo, this option was mostly there because Win98 could not see more than four IDE devices, but I did it as well when I had XP just to be sure and never had any issues with 2 SATA hard drives and 2 IDE optical drives plugged in.

An SSD might be another story though, and you probably can't change the mode because older mobos only used IDE mode for SATA devices (probably to avoid the F6 + floppy with drivers when installing XP)
    Primary IDE channel is disabled. IIRC there was some connection in device manager between Primary IDE and 3rd device...Secondary IDE and 4th Device.

Also I believe Windows reports both HDD and SSD as running in UDMA-5. DVD drive in UDMA-4

Another issue. SSD comes and goes. Will simply not be there sometimes and will just reappear. It doesn't seem to vanish if I'm using it.. I run games off it just fine. I've read others online found that their power supply was at fault. I find it hard to believe that this would be the issue without some other symptom first. Using Thermaltake 600 Watt.. I've read that though they usually don't supply the labeled power, it usually close but provide clean power levels up to their breaking point...Any thoughts on that..

Aside from that, the performance is great.
    Starcraft 2 tried to rearrange its installation. After 7 minutes on my HDD it made it to 0.1% ...cancelled that. Tried the other day copying the SC2 folder to the SSD and re-running the update...the entire process took about 15 minutes from start to finish. nice.
    Last edited by Kane17; February 23rd, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane17
    ... Well...I'm not at home (and won't be for a while) but here's as much as I can tell from memory. KM400 (Came from an HP....
    You can conduct a websearch for the HP/Compaq model that the mobo was originally designed for, and then search for BIOS information/updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane17
    ... Using Thermaltake 600 Watt...
    At least two of the Thermaltake models are listed in the Power supplies to avoid/generics thread.

Good luck.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information