migrating ademco Passpoint express to win7
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: migrating ademco Passpoint express to win7

migrating ademco Passpoint express to win7

I have an ancient version of Ademco's Passpoint Express running on an equally ancient XP system and its time to move to a new system. The new system is a sparkly and pretty Windows 7 Professional 64 bit system and as I look through the manual for Passpoint two questions come to mind:

The first is ... How do I export the card information on the XP installation? I dont see any provision for this in the manual, but perhaps I'm missing it. Of course, once i can export the cards on the XP system, I'll need to import them on the Win7 system - so how to do that is question 1.1.

The second question is how Passpoint Express will run on the 64 bit Windows 7. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I just install and let 'er rip, or should I engage my Win7Pro's Virtual XP capability? Or is there some Passpoint upgrade I should be looking for?

Thanks for the help.
    bluewingedolive

First thing: In the Passpoint folder (c:\Program Files\Ademco\PassPoint usually), there is a data folder. Copy the contents of that folder from the original computer to the same place in the new install. (Make sure PassPoint is not running) That will keep everything, all the controller configs, cardholder data, history, even the user names and passwords currently used to log into the existing Pass Point program.
    As far as using it with Windows 7... absolutely no idea. I DO know that Pass Point runs well in MS Virtual Machine (worse case scenario). It may require you to run it as an Admin, but that is a guess.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out today or tomorrow and let you know the results.

bwo

Tried to install Passpoint Express from the CD on my Win7/64 system and no joy. The installer is complaining that it cannot run on the 64 bit system. I do get the first screen, but when i choose Install I get the failure message.

I suppose the next step is to download and install the various Virtual XP components and try it then.

bluewingedolive

A final result....

My system was Windows 7 Professional, so I downloaded and installed the Virtualized XP to run PassPoint Express within. MS has it packaged as one thing but it is in reality two, one called Windows Virtual PC and a second called Windows XP Mode. The latter 'run on' the first, which runs on the host system.

A few lessons learned in the process...

First... you'll probably want to use IE to do the download. It seems to be integrated with the install process.

Second... The combination WVPC and WXPM is NOT installed as a Virtual Machine that any user can readily get at. It is installed under the user ID you download it under. So give this some thought at the start and make things easy on yourself.

Once you've downloaded and installed WVPC and WXPM its possible to generate additional VMs for additional users, but be aware that you'll do so at the cost of an additional VM disk for each user.

Third... You will need to install antivirus code on each VM you create. I used the free MS Security Essentails.

Fourth... expect to set up Windows update. It will download the programs that you need for security and other such things.

Fifth... For Passpoint Experss you will need to connect the Serial port to the virtual machine. Its not connected by default. Its not a big deal to do so - but its necessary.

Once I had Passpoint Express installed I renamed the Data directory and copied the one from the original machine into the same folder... started the program and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help!
    bwo

Quote Originally Posted by bluewingedolive View Post
    A final result....

My system was Windows 7 Professional, so I downloaded and installed the Virtualized XP to run PassPoint Express within. MS has it packaged as one thing but it is in reality two, one called Windows Virtual PC and a second called Windows XP Mode. The latter 'run on' the first, which runs on the host system.

A few lessons learned in the process...

First... you'll probably want to use IE to do the download. It seems to be integrated with the install process.

Second... The combination WVPC and WXPM is NOT installed as a Virtual Machine that any user can readily get at. It is installed under the user ID you download it under. So give this some thought at the start and make things easy on yourself.

Once you've downloaded and installed WVPC and WXPM its possible to generate additional VMs for additional users, but be aware that you'll do so at the cost of an additional VM disk for each user.

Third... You will need to install antivirus code on each VM you create. I used the free MS Security Essentails.

Fourth... expect to set up Windows update. It will download the programs that you need for security and other such things.

Fifth... For Passpoint Experss you will need to connect the Serial port to the virtual machine. Its not connected by default. Its not a big deal to do so - but its necessary.

Once I had Passpoint Express installed I renamed the Data directory and copied the one from the original machine into the same folder... started the program and everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help!
    bwo
    Sounds like you did all the work! I'm takin notes for when I have to do this.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

It was quite a lot of work. Most of the lessons were learned in the traditional way ... by screwing up! *laughs*

I want to add one more thing that I didn't emphasize as much as I meant to.... That you will need Windows 7 Professional or 'above' to do what I described with WVPC and XP Mode. The additions, WVPC and XP Mode are NOT available for Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have seen others note online that there may be ways around this. You may be able to use some other VM and use one of your XP licences for example. But honestly, it costs about 90 dollars to upgrade from Home Premium to Professional and I think the price would would be worth avoiding the hassle.

bwo

I have gotten this going with both Windows 7 and Windows 10. This is actually caused by an issue with the BDE (Borland Database Engine) and rights to the registry and root of the c:\ drive. giving registry rights to all users and changing the default BDE directory from the root of the c: drive will fix this issue. So Passpoint will work in Win7/Win10 as long as it is a 32bit OS. This will NOT work on 64bit OS, since they really have no way of running a 16 bit app.

Follow the instructions here: http://www.willneumann.net/2008/09/c...-for-windows7/

I have had goof luck making these changes after the install, but before the re-boot.

Thread Information