[RESOLVED] Strange Video Card thermal behaviour
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Strange Video Card thermal behaviour

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Strange Video Card thermal behaviour

Currently I have in my pc an AGP HD4670. Don't hate..

Anyways, it normally runs 39 C on average...has never raised above 42 C when busy.

Recently, I have acquired a nVidia 9500 GT PCI 1GB card....(yes PCI, not PCI-E)
    I Figured, it has physx onboard...maybe some nvidia-friendly stuff might run better on that. So I installed it while keeping the AGP installed as well.

They seemed to run ok (ok in terms of functionality I suppose...I can't even pull more than 4 fps in Guild Wars 1 at lowest Res and reduced settings on the pci card..eesh even my standards have thier limits). AGP card seemed unaffected in terms of performance...

Temp for both cards seemed stable at just under 50 C.
    However, from time to time the AGP card would suddenly spike to 90 C. First time I just reset and it went away for a while...but it happened again later on. I even placed my finger on the heatsink just to make sure...yes, very hot. Ouch, even.

So, I removed the PCI card...temps for AGP card back down to 39 C. I imagine everything is ok but I really have no way to verify the heat issue was related to the extra video card asside from the fact that it was the only change I made and the problem seems to have gone away.

Any idea what would cause that??

..Also, I know pci is very very very limited, especially since it shares the bus with my Sound Blaster...but really...4 fps in GW1? my agp which is only slightly newer has no problem maintaining 60...vsync limited. just curious.

The proximity between the two cards is causing temperature rise.
    Additionally, the thermal compound the video card(s) may need to be replaced.

As for the poor FPS,
    May be caused by the PCI expansion slot in use,
    Especially if PCI slot(s) being used are sharing resources with another expansion slot.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Is the fan on your ATI videocard spinning correctly, not clogged by dust, etc. ?
    Because fact that it suddenly runs very slow and gets hot would make me think of GPU throttling, which might be due to a dying fan as well.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Hello

The proximity between the two cards is causing temperature rise.
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I kind of expected the initial average temp of 50 C. The heat spikes (during desktop use) seem a little excessive though even for a crammed case. I do have plenty of vent...

Additionally, the thermal compound the video card(s) may need to be replaced.
    Ugh..I sure hope not. I bought the ATI card 1 1/2 years ago in a sealed box...and I've been away from home for basicly all of 2012...
    Difficult to say wether thermal compound could be it. I suppose it could have been poorly assembled at the factory.

Is the fan on your ATI videocard spinning correctly, not clogged by dust, etc. ?
    Fan seems to work fine. No dust buildup. I'll keep an eye on it..but again the heat spikes were during idler times when I can hear the fan cycle down anyway.

Because fact that it suddenly runs very slow and gets hot would make me think of GPU throttling, which might be due to a dying fan as well.
    Actually, though the ATI card is the one that gets hot...it seems to perform just fine.
    To clarify..the ATI card gets hot..even if the nvidia card was doing all the work.

As for the poor FPS,
    Especially if PCI slot(s) being used are sharing resources with another expansion slot.
    I suppose thats possible. Just for experimentations sake I might try taking out the sound or agp card just to see if that clears anything up...Though that would kind of break the point of having it for me.

Thanks for replies

ok thanks

Went ahead and just took the ATI card out and placed the geforce into the pci slot previously occupied by the agp cards heatsink.
    Much better..Guild wars didn't improve much but I suspect that perhaps the card is probably sharing bandwidth with my tethered phone internet via usb. However I CAN play Oblivion in 1440x900 w/ HDR maps and other maxed settings. Not ultra smooth mind you, however very playable. And UT3 is ok after you wait 5 minutes for all the textures to be updated.

Of coarse it didn't outperform the HD4670 in anything...even games that utilize Physx.
    ...I guess thats not a huge surprise considering the superior chipset and bus...
    What was slightly disappointing was how my XFX 7600GT 256M AGP still pretty much ousted the 9500 GT in everything also.

Seems that without the AGP card in there it did much better. Which I find strange. I've always assumed the PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot shared resources with the AGP (Don't know if thats correct)...but in any case this was 2 slots over from the AGP.

...I really didnt' have a lot of spare time this week as this thread might have implied...

As for the heat. I'm going to, for now, attribute the heat to whatever conflict the card was having with the other video...Will keep an eye on it. Will be extremely dissapointed if I have to correct anything with the AGP card's cooling. I overpaid for an unused boxed version in hopes of avoiding issues like this for at least a few years. But whatever..

Thanks again for replies.
    Last edited by Kane17; February 9th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Thread Information