motherboard-cpu-memory.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: motherboard-cpu-memory.

Hybrid View

motherboard-cpu-memory.

I am new to this forum, but I am hoping it will be useful.
    I currently have a foxxconn A74ML-K motherboard, AMD Phenom II 2.3ghz quad core with 4gb ram, sata hard drive as my boot device, a sata dvd/cd writer combo, an Asus Nvidia geforce gt630 with 2gb ddr3. And at the time the problem started, windows 7 home premium. My biggest problem was while playing Star wars the old republic. I found out I could view my FPS. What I found when viewing it was a terrible FPS as low as 2 or 3 right up to 25-30, all while running around doing what you do. yet when I was in a transition screen, ie going from a planet to my ship etc, it shot right up to100+ and as low as 50 FPS. So try out something different, I loaded up Star wars the force unleashed, everything was going well, it was running quite smoothly, then the screen froze, I could not get out of it. I had to reboot the PC. It would not go back into windows at all. So I had to reinstall. I reinstalled windows 7, then the computer kept crashing, things were very slow etc. So I reinstalled windows xp professional. this is what I currently have on the computer. but again, it is very slow, it is like I have 10 programs all running at the same time. my oldpentium 4 2.8ghz works faster than my quad core. So I am wondering if it is the motherboard or the CPU, unfortunatle I dont have anything else to try to change with it, in other words, i dont have a spare motherboard or processor to swap about and see if that makes a difference. Any ideas please.

To check memory,
    You can use software such as Memtest86+

To test hard drive(s),
    You can use the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic software utility.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Easiest way to get the two invaluable utilities Shinma suggested is the Ultimate Boot CD. It's a free download, burn it to a bootable cd or usb drive. Boot from it, run the tests. Lots more freeware utilities on it.

Thread Information