SmallNetBuilder's Powerline FAQ
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SmallNetBuilder's Powerline FAQ

Lightbulb SmallNetBuilder's Powerline FAQ

Our Essential Wireless FAQ gets a lot of regular use. So we figured why not try the same thing for powerline networking?

1. Are all powerline adapters the same?

No. Powerline networking suffered through a contentious standards battle that dragged on way too long and hurt powerline's adoption as a mainstream consumer networking technology. Things are much better today because there is finally an IEEE standard (IEEE P1901) and past battles are over...

For article,
    Click HERE

May be of interest for those encountering situations where distance is a factor within a home.

For Powerline Charts,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Interesting. Thanks Shinma.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

You're welcome.

Decided to post it due to number of people inquiring about networking computers between several floors and such.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I've actually been considering this lately. My bedroom is three floors above the router and getting a wi-fi signal up that far is hard, even with repeaters. Now I wonder what I will do with the 100' ethernet cable I've got going out my bedroom window down the building!
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Huge
    ... My bedroom is three floors above the router and getting a wi-fi signal up that far is hard, even with repeaters...
    That is the scenario with a client that I have to deal with in the next few weeks.
    He does get a signal but poorly/sporadic in the basement
    and
    his modem is located on the second floor.

Temporary setup will be,
    2nd floor: Cable > Wireless Gateway device > Powerline AV adapter & Laptop
    1st floor: Powerline AV adapter > Wireless router (configured as Access Point/switch) > Laptops & Network Printer
    Basement: Desktops

If the powerline AV adapter works well on the 1st floor, I'll add powerline adapter in the basement.

Wanted to run CAT6 network cables throughout
    but
    His wife would have both are heads on a chopping block for punching holes through the walls, floors...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I'm seriously thinking going with powerline networking if I buy a house with a finished basement. The outside-the-walls CAT5 wiring job I did at my house right now is not really aesthetic :P
    Glad to see the AV500 adapters are going down in price.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Let us know how it goes Shinma. I'm not in any hurry to take down that cable, but I would like to know how good/bad it is (and $$$). I just remember powerline networking being so bad a decade ago.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

They are supposedly improved since they settled a standard.

I'll be trying out a HomePlug AV specification, TRENDnet TPL-307E2K powerline adapter.
    Due to some feedbacks of heat with the really compact models of powerline adapters,
    I decided to try out a bulkier model.

Decided to skip the HomePlug AV 500 specification adapters
    since the technology appears to be working out some bugs on some brands/models.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information