[RESOLVED] determining CPU speed
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] determining CPU speed

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] determining CPU speed

I may be having a major brain freeze but........

After being away from building any new systems for a few years, I just built a new i7-3770K sys for myself
    with a Radeon 7870 GPU. Everything is running perfect and it's fast!

However, I just ran "CPU-Z" and it recognizes and lists CPU as follows (with numbers rounded off)

Core Speed -1604
    Multiplier -16
    Bus speed -100

How do the these number represent the 3.5 gigs default speed? I know its 4 cores but, I can not make heads or tails over it. No mater how I do the math it does not come out right.

EDIT........
    Never mind............
    I ran CPU-Z while the CPU was under a 100% load and the numbers came out correct. Evidently, the MOBO/CPU throttles back the multiplier at idle speeds and OKs it somewhat at full loads. (16 to 37) The multiplier is not locked on this CPU.
    Like I said, it's been a while and I had a "brain freeze "

BTW, I got a "Hyper EVO" cooler and the core temps never go higher than about 55c under prolonged full loads with an ambient temp of 80f.
    Last edited by Flash; February 2nd, 2013 at 01:58 PM.

You got yourself a nice system there. Time to stop worrying and start playing a few games.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Yeah, it's so fast that I presently have nothing that would make me want me to OC it at this point.
    However, sometime in the future...........
    The CPU runs really cool with the die shrink.

When only 2 cores are being used, your cpu can be clocked as high as 3.9ghz. Have you installed an ssd? How much ram have-you installed? What cpu were you using before? Lol, lots of questions.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    When only 2 cores are being used, your cpu can be clocked as high as 3.9ghz. Have you installed an ssd? How much ram have-you installed? What cpu were you using before? Lol, lots of questions.
    *No SSD. I have a WD raptor 300gig for my boot drive.
    * 8 gigs (2x4) RAM.
    * I have a few systems but, the last I put together (except for frankenstein computers ) was an Intel "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 gigs OCed to 3.1 gigs. It has XP as the main OS and duel boots Visa just for DX10. I still use it for a few things

The new sys has Win 7. It boots in about 15 secs. shuts down in 5 sec. The ASUS "P8-Z77-V-LK MOBO is still set to default (normal) auto OCing and it OCs it to 3.7 gigs using all cores.
    I verified this using a program called "heavy load" and "Task Manager".
    http://www.jam-software.com/heavyload/
    I have not tried it on turbo yet.

It's set up in my TV room, replacing an old P-4 Northwood 3.06 sys used as mutii media sys with audio also fed into my stereo, and will be eventually set up to also use my 46" TV as a monitor for gaming, etc .
    Last edited by Flash; February 3rd, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Glad you're enjoying the new processor.
    I'm using a 3570K on my primary...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I installed a Wireless xbox 360 controller on my computer, and play all my games sitting on a sofa. Much more comfortable than sitting in from of a computer monitor.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

You are using the high speed system then why you are worrying about the speed of CPU? Just enjoy dude..

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertBarkley View Post
    You are using the high speed system then why you are worrying about the speed of CPU? Just enjoy dude..
    Because finding that your high speed system runs at less than half its rated speed might just be a bit worrying ?

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Quote Originally Posted by equinoxe3d View Post
    Because finding that your high speed system runs at less than half its rated speed might just be a bit worrying ?
    Not only that....I'm an old "stick and rudder" computer user (since the "C-64") and it just bothers me if anything is not running perfect or, as it should be.

I was just a bit ignorant about the latest (to me) CPUs/MOBOs and "worrying" about it allowed me to educate myself on it.
    Last edited by Flash; February 8th, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

FWIW........
    I got it set up to also use my 46' TV as a monitor (via HDMI) when desired and it looks great!

I was surprised that configuration was really simple with Win7 and the R7870 drivers.

Yeah, Windows 7 is a lot better with finding and handling external monitors and TVs. If you play games, take a look at the Big Picture mode in Steam and grab a wireless Xbox 360 controller for a console-like experience with better graphics

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information