[RESOLVED] Power supply for Evga 7900GT video card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Power supply for Evga 7900GT video card

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Power supply for Evga 7900GT video card

I have this Evga 7900GT and NewEggs specs says that it needs a 400 Watt power supply. It has an extra plug for power on the card, a 6 hole rectangle plug. Do I need to plug this 6 pin plug in or can I use the video card without the plug? What would happen if my power supply is not 400 watt?
    Thanks
    JB

PC might not boot up without enough power.... Or if it does boot up it might crash any time you do anything like use a browser on a site with lots of ads.

Yea my Dell has one of those fat power supplys, taller than most. It is a 255Watt. Do you think I can get a 256mb video card that does not need that much power and will work with this power wattage? I have been looking on Ebay and they don't mention power requirements. I have a few saved in my Ebay favorites that take no extra 6 pin plug.
    Last edited by jonny b; February 1st, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Thanks
    JB

You need to plug the connector or else the card might refuse to post or run 3D apps. If you don't have such a connector on your power supply (usually referred as PCIe 6 pin connector), there's usually an adapter like this one coming with the card to use two regular 4-pin molex connectors instead.

As for the PSU requirements, they are usually higher than needed to scare people from using cheap PSUs that cannot do their rated power. That said, if your power supply is not from a reputable brand or way lower than 400W, it might be wise to upgrade your PSU to avoid issues.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Oops, you posted at the same time as me :P Yeah, not sure if 255W would cut it with a 7900GT.

If you don't intend to do gaming, look for a card that does not have a PCIe power connector (the black 6-pin you mentioned).
    PCIe cards can draw max. 75W from the slot itself, any higher than that and it needs one or two of these connectors.
    Getting such a card would ensure power consumption would be suitable for pretty much any system.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

"I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information