New motherboard
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New motherboard

New motherboard

Hi, I have a HP Workstation xw4400 product number ET115AV computer. I like the tower, it is well built and had what I need. I would like to replace the motherboard, processor and memory. I would like advice on what motherboard to order that would be compatible and fit in the current case.
    I want an Intel i7 processor
    6-8 GB of memory and a quality board. I plan on running Windows 8 professional 64bit.

Before you start the process,
    Check that the connections between the mobo and the computer case is not proprietary.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by heating2001 View Post
    Hi, I have a HP Workstation xw4400 product number ET115AV computer. I like the tower, it is well built and had what I need. I would like to replace the motherboard, processor and memory. I would like advice on what motherboard to order that would be compatible and fit in the current case.
    I want an Intel i7 processor
    6-8 GB of memory and a quality board. I plan on running Windows 8 professional 64bit.
    If you are replacing the MOBO,CPU and memory, you are essentially building a new computer from "scratch".
    So, even if your case connection are " proprietary, you will just have to purchase a new case and Power supply for an additional $75-$100 or so.

The assembly would not be any more difficult than just replacing the CPU. MOBO and memory, and you will wind up with a better computer that will be exactly the way you want it. I'm sure people here can guide you on what to get. It's not at all confusing once you get into it.

Question........ are you satisfied with hard drive in the HP or do you also want to replace it? If so, you can keep the HP as is and use it for whatever, a backup etc. No matter what you do, you will have to format and load Windows on your HDD anyway.

One more question...... Why do you want Windows 8?

In any event, the first step is to determine exactly which i7 CPU you want and take it from there.
    Last edited by Flash; February 4th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Thread Information