Java flaw draws Web attacks...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Java flaw draws Web attacks...

Exclamation Java flaw draws Web attacks...

Java flaw draws Web attacks, reports say

A vulnerability in the Java software has the potential to affect a wide swath of computer users, and researchers warn that it's already being exploited "in the wild."

Security researchers have spotted a new vulnerability in the widely used Java software that could give attackers access to your computer.

The US-CERT group today issued an alert saying that Java 7 Update 10 and earlier versions of the software contain an unspecified vulnerability that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code. The attack can be induced if someone visits a Web site that's been set up with malicious code to take advantage of the hole.

This weak spot is already being attacked "in the wild" -- that is, it's a real-world threat -- and is being incorporated into exploit kits that make it easier for those with ill intentions to create an attack...

For full story,
    Click HERE

Luckily, I rarely use Java anymore...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Another Java zero-day exploit in the wild actively attacking targets
    Latest attacks used to surreptitiously install McRat trojan on victim machines.
    by Dan Goodin - Mar 1 2013, 11:10am EST

Hackers are exploiting a previously unknown and currently unpatched vulnerability in the latest version of Java to surreptitiously infect targets with malware, security researchers said Thursday night.

The critical vulnerability is being exploited to install a remote-access trojan dubbed McRat, researchers from security firm FireEye warned. The attacks work against Java versions 1.6 Update 41 and 1.7 Update 15, which are the latest available releases of the widely used software. The attack is triggered when people with a vulnerable version of the Java browser plugin visit a website that has been booby-trapped with attack code. FireEye researchers Darien Kindlund and Yichong Lin said the exploit is being used against "multiple customers" and that they have "observed successful exploitation."

The security of Java is reaching near-crisis levels as reports of new in-the-wild exploits have become an almost weekly occurrence over the past few months.

[...continues...]
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Damn. OOo or Llibre Office use Java and I just installed LO in one laptop. I otherwise have no need of Java.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

You can run Libreoffice without Java. Certain things won't work, but it's not absolutely required.

http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questi...-require-java/
    https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java

The Java flaw appears to involve a browser plugin. I assume I needn't worry that much about it in the office apps. But I guess I should search it and update it.

Thread Information