Partition 3T HDD in USB Enclosure
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Partition 3T HDD in USB Enclosure

Partition 3T HDD in USB Enclosure

I'm trying to partition a new raw 3T hdd in a new 3T capable usb 3 external enclosure and it does not show up in Computer Management/Storage. The computer running XP mounts it (in usb 2) and it shows up in Device Manager under usb devices with the correct name of the 3T drive. I don't have a UEFI computer built, so I can't put the drive in one of those at present to partition it.
    Any solutions? Would booting the computer it's connected to with a live linux cd prove any better in getting it recognized in a way that would allow me to partition it?

If applicable,
    Check the hard drive manufacturer's website for any formatting utility.

Article,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Can't format it until it's partitioned. Can't partition it until a program that can partition can see it. Device Manager can see it, but has no options to partition. Perhaps I should look through UBCD.

This isn't a prepackaged external drive, it's a raw drive that's been put into an enclosure.

Unfortunately, you'll need to set up the drive on an UEFI motherboard. Linux won't help you get around the BIOS.
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/article...S/FAQ/218619en

Also XP doesn't support GPT. So it's a double whammy.
    http://www.ghacks.net/2010/11/04/how...on-windows-xp/

Can you return the drive for something smaller?

I did some reading on linux and 3T usb drives. The best answers were about a year and a half old, but from what my limited knowedge could make out, I can probably do this under linux. If I'm lucky I can partition and format this under linux and it might even work as an external under XP. The key issue for that scenario is that while with 512 sectors the limit would be about 800G, with 4096 sectors it might all be seen. If XP could not use it at full capacity, I think a current linux distro could, even with a non-UEFI bios.

I have two outs: another barely started build that I could put linux on (and in 64-bit) and an as-yet unused Acer Veriton with Vista (32 or 64 unknown). The other build was intended to replace the XP computer anyway -- this will hurry it up.

Thanks for the help, Midknyte. It pushed me off in the right direction. And for anyone else reading, if you want to partition and format a 3T usb external under linux (for example while running off a live linux distro) use a recent distro or partitioning disk like Gparted, not an older one, make sure the sector size is set to 4096 and not 512, and choose GPT in the options. There are a lot more details, but some searching will find them.

Thread Information