Bloated Windows 7 folder...........
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloated Windows 7 folder...........

Bloated Windows 7 folder...........

I don't know if this was addressed before but..........

I just put together a new sys with Win7 64bit and I'm slowly of getting used to this OS.

However, after a few days, I discovered that my Windows folder is over 16 gigs after the intial install of only just a few gigs
    I have also learned that this is about normal.

My question is why is this? Why does win 7 suddenly expand to 16 gigs a couple of days after install?
    This is with all unnessay files cleaned out and the disk defraged

How much RAM do you have ? I seem to remember that when I installed W7 it allocated a lot of space for the swap file so if you have 8GB RAM or more it can eat up a lot of space. In my case I shrank it to a fixed size of 512MB without issues.

Also, you can go in System Properties > System Protection and configure the System Restore disk space usage or turn it off if you don't need it.

Finally, if it's a fresh install and you have done a lot of Windows updates and/or service pack installs it might be a good idea to install and run CCleaner to remove any temporary files left over.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

I do have 8 gigs of RAM but, I not shure what you mean about that .

The swap file is not in the Windows folder. Everytime you install new apps, some of the files are installed in the Windows folder or in one of it's sub directories. After 2.5years, my Windows folder is 27GB. Note that I have Windows 7 ultimate 64bits.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Oops sorry, did not see it was only for the Windows folder... well mine is 23GB so I guess I have bloat as well

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

.........and I remember when windows was on a few floppys and a 2 gig drive was considered a lot. I still got a 1.9 gig "champ" HDD packed away somewhere.

BTW, this is the first sys I ever built that did not have a floppy drive

Everything is relative. I remember my trs80 model 4 with a 5MO drive, and, I thought is was a large drive.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

If you look in your Windows folder, you see a folder named winsxs, the is the largest folder Inside Windows. My winsxs folder is 13GB, so, almost half of the Windows folder. If you want to know what's the purpose of this folder, read: http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

lol
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

At least I found an e-mail program I like for win7........."PostBox". It sort of mimics the look and layout of outlook which is one MS program that I really liked. I absolutely hated "windows live mail"

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    If you look in your Windows folder, you see a folder named winsxs, the is the largest folder Inside Windows. My winsxs folder is 13GB, so, almost half of the Windows folder. If you want to know what's the purpose of this folder, read: http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html
    Thanks. That clears a lot up for me.
    Last edited by Flash; January 11th, 2013 at 02:11 PM.

You are welcome.

I know one thing. I wouldn't go back to winxp, even if it takes a lot less hard-drive space.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    You are welcome.

I know one thing. I wouldn't go back to winxp, even if it takes a lot less hard-drive space.
    XP is not that bad as long as you get rid of those Fred Flintstone graphics and configure it to classic widows style.
    At least it's not as confusing as Vista and 7.
    What I hate is MS changing things just for the sake of changing them just to sell you a different OS.

BTW, I got Win 7 set to classic Windows syle because IMO it's still the easiest on the eyes .
    Last edited by Flash; January 11th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

You mean that you don't use Windows aero and gadgets? I like these. I also find, that even if Windows xp was fairly stable, Windows 7 is still, more stable that winxp ever was.

However, I think Windows 8 is going much to far for me.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

I tried aero years ago but did not like it .
    My idea of the desktop it to navigate to where you want to go, not a place for a gee wizz/wow graphic display .

As far as gadets, I do have one installed in win7...... the one that monitors CPU and RAM usage.
    However, I may even uninstall that one eventually .

I'm actually an old 'stick and rudder" computer user from the days of the C-64.
    BTW, the name "Flash' refers to me fashing the BIOS on my graphics card a day before I registed on HWC back in '98.

Win 8? Even consumers reports is teling people to pass on it . It might prove to be an even bigger flop than Vista.
    My idea of a great OS is the sensible interface of XP with the speed, etc of win7
    Last edited by Flash; January 12th, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

I've configured the Windows 7 gui so that WinXP users barely encounter a hiccup, using it.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information