[RESOLVED] Help! $800.00 to spend on lap top, What to do?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help! $800.00 to spend on lap top, What to do?

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Help! $800.00 to spend on lap top, What to do?

Is there a possibility to get a bare bone laptop? Even not including the window OS or any other software? Just trying to save money. I have all the software I need at this moment. Also, is there a place to get a bare and I mean a bare-bone laptop? I'm new at buying but thinking if I purchase bare-bone and upgrade myself I could get more bang for my buck. I'm not sure though. Please help.

Could you build the laptop for me with 1920x1080 HD display using you specifications and knowledge trying to keep the price around $800 including tax? I know this is asking a bunch of you but it seems like you really know what your talking about. You have no idea how much I would appreciate it.

Thanks...

G4_Music

Did you try Newegg.com?

Once you have a model number of one you like, plug that into Amazon.com to see if they might have a better price.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; December 23rd, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

I don't think there's such a thing as a "bare-bone" laptop, the closest I can think of are custom Compal or Clevo laptops offered by some manufacturers like AVADirect who build them for you. You could start with a model like one of these and remove the OS using the customization options at the bottom. Keep in mind those systems are usually built for performance and are not the most stylish around.

Otherwise, after a quick search from NewEgg shows they have only one model at $800 with a Full HD screen :

SONY VAIO E Series SVE1712BCXB

Otherwise, there are a few other models slightly higher than $800:
    ASUS N56DP-DH11 ($850)
    DELL Inspiron 15R Special Edition ($830)

Sadly, it seems all models from NewEgg include an OS. The others near this price range are refurbished models (like this HP business model).

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Quote Originally Posted by equinoxe3d
    I don't think there's such a thing as a "bare-bone" laptop, ...
    Ditto.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Doc

\_______/

Some years ago there were some barebones laptops, sold without hard drives, ram, possibly cpu's. But the integrated nature of most of the hardware on a laptop makes this impractical beyond the few standard components like the hdd and ram. The barebones disappeared, probably because they were more expensive, not less, than comparable complete laptops, being specialty products.

Personally I have a strong preference for business class models: non-glossy screens, more robust construction. Your desire for an HD screen would likely keep you in the consumer models.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    Personally I have a strong preference for business class models: non-glossy screens, more robust construction. Your desire for an HD screen would likely keep you in the consumer models.
    +1 on that. I have had both consumer class and business class laptops for work, and none of the business class ones have let me down. Not so with the consumer ones. The construction on the business class is simply more durable, and they often come with a better (three year as opposed to one year or less) warranty. I am personally partial to HP's in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post

... business class ... I am personally partial to HP's in that regard.
    Lenovo ThinkPad.
    Doc

\_______/

And AFAIK business models don't have crapware (ex: trial versions of Norton Full 360 Security Whatever) preinstalled than consumer models, at least not as much.

That being said, you usually pay more for that privilege
    Like that model I mentionned earlier, which fits his Full HD and price criteria but is refurbished.

I don't know that much about laptops but I'd be curious if one could find a brand-new business-class HP/Dell/Lenovo with Full HD screen for $800.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thread Information