New Video Card Drivers Load in Vista but not Windows 7 Pro - Dual Boot System
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Video Card Drivers Load in Vista but not Windows 7 Pro - Dual Boot System

Question New Video Card Drivers Load in Vista but not Windows 7 Pro - Dual Boot System

I just purchased a new video card for my old Acer M3100 that I dual boot the original Vista and Windows 7 on. I bought a new Asus Nvidia GeForce GT 610 video card to play Skyrim. Windows 7 will install the drivers with absolutely no error messages but upon rebooting they won't load and I'm stuck with basic VGA. I booted out and back to Vista and loaded them and they installed fine as well and upon rebooting into Vista they actually load! My Windows 7 install is a recent clean install because I tried upgrading to Windows 8 and didn't do a clean install and it borked itself on all my legacy hardware. Does anyone know why a clean install won't load new video card drivers but my old Vista install loads them fine? (Yet another reason not to abandon the Vista Beast, Vista is the last OS that recognizes my (2) Rio Karma MP3 Players.)

Can anyone help me figure out how to get Win7Pro64 to load the drivers?

If current drivers fails to function,
    You can see if any of the older driver version works.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Which driver set are you using? Where did you download it?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Currently I'm using the driver set that came with the video card. Did I mention that it's new? I'm wondering if it just didn't come with 64Bit drivers and maybe it loaded 32 bit so I guess I need to try that download site.

When installing a new video card, I always download the latest drivers from the nVidia site. You don't know how long that card has been sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    When installing a new video card, I always download the latest drivers from the nVidia site. You don't know how long that card has been sitting on a shelf somewhere.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

Quite a while apparently, however I have installed the latest drivers and Windows 7 still fails to load them. It says it doesn't detect the GPU. Sad because Vista detects it just fine and I can now play Skyrim there, but I hate having a halfassed OS running.

That is bizarre. What does Device Manager say?

Which driver set did you use? 306.97?
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-wi...ql-driver.html

What about previous driver sets?

Exclamation Inconcievable!! It means exactly what I think it means! :P

That is bizarre. What does Device Manager say?

Which driver set did you use? 306.97?
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-wi...ql-driver.html

What about previous driver sets?
    I've only tried the ones that came with the new video card. 297.23 I believe was the number and the new 306.97 I downloaded from their website. Device manager shows the video card as the Geforce GT 610 but has a yellow exclamation mark over the icon because it's not loading the driver DLL's because Win7 says it doesn't have a recognizable GPU. The video card has plenty of power because I replaced my 250 watt power supply with a 480watt supply and this particular card is supposed to run fine on anything over 300 watts. I'm stumped!

You can try the drivers off the Asus site instead, but the nVidias should work. That card doesn't have high draw so 480W should be ok. What make/model?

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...GD3L/#download

You can try the drivers off the Asus site instead, but the nVidias should work. That card doesn't have high draw so 480W should be ok. What make/model?

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...GD3L/#download
    Make and model of the PC or the Power supply? The PC is an Acer M3100. Don't ask me how old it is. It's old enough that I've forgotten when I bought it! LOL! Thanks I'll check their drivers out.

Power supply. It's probably not a power supply issue, but wouldn't hurt to know if it's a generic brand or something.

Power supply. It's probably not a power supply issue, but wouldn't hurt to know if it's a generic brand or something.
    Well here's the one I bought. I don't understand why it would be the problem since the video card drivers work just fine in Vista with the same power supply.

?? I don't see any PSU info. Like I said, that's probably not the issue, but you don't want to assume either.

Did you try the drivers off the Asus site?

I know you said it was a clean install, but what else did you do besides installing Windows and Windows Updates?

Regular drivers from nVIDIA and AMD/ATi failing to work with ASUS video cards would not be uncommon due to variances from reference design.
    Encountered similar issue with an old ATi x1600 series.

With that said, if applicable,
    Update Windows 7 with all necessary Service Packs and hotfixes prior to driver(s) installation attempt.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information