[RESOLVED] Firefox won't bookmark
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Firefox won't bookmark

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Firefox won't bookmark

On both FF 13.0 and 13.1, on two different laptops, one XP, one Win 7 Enterprise, both fully updated, when I right click a tab and select "Bookmark This Tab" I get nothing. "Bookmark All Tabs" works. Running 12 extensions, main being Tab Mix Plus, Compact Menu, NoScript, Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar.

Posted at Mozilla Forums.

I'm one of the many that wish Mozilla would quit pxxxing around with the over-frequent updates and learn the value of stability.

Since it's happening on two different systems, it sounds like an issue with one of your addons. Did you try disabling some and testing it out? Make sure to check for updates while you're at it.

I'm one of the many that wish Mozilla would quit pxxxing around with the over-frequent updates and learn the value of stability.
    If that's the case, then use the ESR version. It doesn't have the newest features, just security updates. Note that Chrome has updates in the background all the time. I would rather know about the updates than have them done in secret.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan View Post
    That's why I moved to Chrome.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Huge View Post
    That's why I moved to Chrome.
    Chrome has had WAY more updates than Firefox since January. You probably didn't even realize if you autoupdate.

Yes but when they update, they don't break stuff.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Compact Menu was the culprit. Still, given that the reason I use FF is for the extensions, having them broken is more than frustrating. I am considering moving to the ESR version.

Ah. Glad you found it. Most of the upgrade issues I've seen are due to the addons. That partly falls on the addon developers, but I get what you are saying. Stuff should just work.

You can always give the portable ESR version a try first.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...x-portable-esr

Yeah-Adobe Flash is crashing my Firefox with some regularity on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine. I have disabled it, but then I have no Flash. I guess I will go over to IE until a later version comes out.

You might also want to revert to an older version of Flash. Maybe version 10.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashp...ribution3.html

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You might also want to revert to an older version of Flash. Maybe version 10.
    Adobe came out with a new version yesterday, so we will see. This apparently was a known issue to Mozilla.

Thanks, Midknyte.

An update:

I'll be switching all my computers to the ESR variant of Firefox. FF 17 just broke Tab Mix Plus, which won't be updated until Jan 2013. I have tab opening configured to suit me, and I'm not giving it up.

Thanks again, Midknyte.

That is a known issue. Install the latest Dev build.
    http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15740

I don't know whether it is just FF 17 or not, but I am having more than occasional trouble getting FF to close. It closes on the screen, but when I go to reopen it, nada. Task Manager says it is still running, so I try to close it there, and often still nada. Time cures it, generally-if I leave it alone for a few minutes. I updated Flash again recently and thought that might be it, so I uninstalled the Flash update, but that does not seem to have helped. Maybe I just need to learn to be patient (and good luck with that).

Give Adobe a five minute major and a game misconduct. They have some McAfee crap pre-checked on the latest Flash update. I clicked install before I noticed a few days ago, in a hurry.

Midknyte, thanks for the link. I'll give it a try on this laptop and reinstall FF 17. I have noticed that FF, after fixing its memory leak problem some time ago, has it back again, and is crash-prone with far fewer tabs open (but many more tabs than most users would have open). I even installed Opera on one computer recently, but the lack of an equivalent to Tab Mix Plus was the deal breaker.

You might want to try disabling the plugin-container. It's supposed to sandbox plugin processes from firefox, but I found it causes some problems too.
    http://www.faqforge.com/uncategorize...er-in-firefox/

Not sure where you get your Flash, but I don't recall any Mcafee on the distribution installer.
    If Flash 11.5.502.110 still gives you problems, you can try downgrading to 10.3.183.43.

Thread Information