Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8?

Lightbulb Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8?

Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8?

The canning of Steven Sinofsky 15 days after the launch of Windows 8 could signal the start of Microsoft dealing with lukewarm reception to its latest operating system.

6:29PM EST November 13. 2012 - The firing of Microsoft executive Steven Sinofsky, just 15 days after the launch of Windows 8, raises questions about whether there will be a return of the traditional Windows Start Menu.

Microsoft's not saying. But there are a couple of developments suggesting that might not be a bad bet.

First, to catch you up: Sinofsky, a one time aide to Microsoft founder Bill Gates, was summarily let go by CEO Steve Ballmer on Monday night, two weeks after the much hyped Oct. 26 launch of Windows 8. Until then, Sinofsky was head of Microsoft's Windows division. WIndows 8 is his baby.

Arguably the boldest change Sinofsky insisted on was to cut off Windows users cold turkey from the familiar Start Menu interface. He outlined his philosophy and rationale via a blog post written in connection with the Build developers' conference held a few days after the Windows 8 launch...

For full article,
    Click HERE
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I'm not betting on it.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

A decent way to shut it down would be nice,first time I went to shut a Win8 machine down ,I was like....ummmm....Finally did a ctrl-alt-del and then clicked the power symbol in the bottom right corner,but come on.

Older hardware compatibility can also be an issue compared to Windows 7 and Windows XP.

If they do bring back the Start menu,
    I hope they do it before those discount prices expire.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Don't have the names or links, but there are two or three utilities out that will give you a Start menu for Win 8. The touch-screen oriented GUI TIFKAM could have been an opportunity for linux, if Ubuntu and Gnome 3 hadn't gone down the same route earlier, though Mint and KDE offer alternatives. So there are ways around the new GUI's in both worlds.

Thanks DanceMan.
    Already tried couple of those third party software.

I'm just thinking about business aspect of the matter.
    Clients prefer default options, fully supported.

Likely why Microsoft is still pitching Windows 7 rather than Window 8 to their enterprise clients.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information