[RESOLVED] Upgrade or new build for GTA5?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Upgrade or new build for GTA5?

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Upgrade or new build for GTA5?

Hello there, former poster here (from about ten years ago) looking for a wee bit of advice. A fairly simple question, but I'm out of the loop nowadays as far as techie stuff is concerned, so I feel like more eyes on the issue would help.

Basically, I have an old-ish but capable PC which I assembled in 2009, and it's served me well in the two intensive tasks I most often demand of it: Photoshop and playing GTA4.

Current specs:
    * Asus P5Q SE (P45) motherboard
    * 4GB PC2-5300 RAM
    * Q6600 @ stock 2.4GHz
    * Radeon 4770 512MB video card
    * 2x SATA HDDs, 250GB for OS/programs which is half-full, and 2TB for data

However, it's getting a bit slow now when booting up, accessing directories, etc. Deep down it still does the job, but needs an OS reinstall/upgrade fairly urgently ~ I'm still on XP. I've decided to replace my C: drive with a SSD while I'm at it, and upgrade the RAM to PC2-6400 so that I can overclock the processor. The overall effect will hopefully be very noticeable.

However, I'm aware that GTA5 is coming out in 2013, and I'll definitely want to buy it ~ it's the only game series I'm interested in. My dilemma is, will the upgraded system as described below be enough? If so, I can invest in the parts and the whole thing should hopefully last another 2-3 years for a much lower cost than a ground-up rebuild. I appreciate I'll have to upgrade my video card as well, although I can hold off on that until the game's released:

Suggested future specs:
    * Asus P5Q SE (P45) motherboard as before
    * Q6600 @ 3GHz
    * 8GB PC2-6400 RAM
    * 250GB SSD drive for OS, 2TB SATA HDD for data as before
    * Radeon 7850 2GB video card (or whatever the equivalent is 12 months from now)

I appreciate that nobody knows the system requirements of GTA5 yet, and any answers will be guesswork. However, you'll likely have much more experience than me in assessing how a PC like this can cope with today's games.

Thanks in advance,
    MDL

I am NOT a gamer,
    with that said,

Found the following rumour to be common:

... But what are the min.GTA 5 system requirements ? We expect only a small difference between GTA4 and V. Rockstar Games uses the same Rage Engine again. The consoles are the same generation too. One thing is sure, it didn’t run very smooth last time, and we think GTA 5 will be better optimized!...

IF rumour is true, your future hardware specs should meet the requirements.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Cheers for that. Aside from their "recommended" specs where my CPU falls about 20% short, that does seem ok. Looks like I'm going to get more out of my Q6600 than I did from my dual Xeon box (2004-09).

Regards,
    MDL

You should easily be able to overclock your Q6600 to at least 3.2ghz. You ram, by increasing it's voltage from 1.8 to 2.0volt should overclock easily to ddr800. Just get a cheap aftermarket cooler before you overclock your Q6600.

If you are planning in playing at 1080p, your weak point will be your current video card.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    You should easily be able to overclock your Q6600 to at least 3.2ghz. You ram, by increasing it's voltage from 1.8 to 2.0volt should overclock easily to ddr800. Just get a cheap aftermarket cooler before you overclock your Q6600.

If you are planning in playing at 1080p, your weak point will be your current video card.
    Overvolting the RAM? That's a new one for me. I guess I can try that first before I buy replacement memory.

I had to check an old invoice to see what cooler I bought, and it's an Arctic Freezer Pro 7. Seems to do the job, since my core temperatures are being reported at 28-36°C. And it turns out I actually built this system in 2008, a year earlier than I thought; my old Xeon workstation was from 2004, so this is already my longest-serving machine. The video card is from 2009 though, so I probably did the same as I'm planning now, building things up in stages.

At the moment my primary display is a 20" 1680x1050, but upgrading to 1080p soon is also in the pipeline. With the amount of Photoshopping I do I've no excuse not to. I suspected the Radeon 4770 would be the biggest bottleneck regardless of my resolution though. I seem to have only paid about UK£80 for it (another old invoice), so I guess the 7850 2GB I'm eyeing up isn't a like-for-like replacement. Still, that's not a necessary upgrade until GTA5 actually gets here, so I can make a final decision on that another time.

Cheers again,
    MDL

Thread Information