Any danger in overclocking P3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Any danger in overclocking P3

Any danger in overclocking P3

I just wonder if it could damage my RAM (100 mhz), if i overclock a Pentium 3, by raising the FSB to 112 mhz or maybe to 124 mhz? Or is it a question of the quality of the RAM?

ankerson Guest
    Never overclock any cpu if you want it to last, plus you realy will not gain any speed that you will see. Overclocking is a waste of time for people who don't want to buy real speed.

Mr Bean... You'll probably get allot more replies if you post this same topic on the CPU discussion's. Allot of the overclocker's there will be able to help you out a whole lot when it come to over clocking the Pentium III.

Ankerson... nevermind!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanx Toolbox - i forgot that this was the video cards forum because i just enter this forum from my favourite list. I will go to the cpu forum right now! By the way, what's that nonsense about overclocking is only for people not willing to buy real speed Ankerson. Why not get the most out of your money when you are a poor student. It's actually quite easy overclocking a celeron 300A to 462 mhz and gain a 50% raise in framerates. About the lastability of an overclocked chip. It might only last for 6-7 years, but who cares about that. Nobody really keeps their cpu's for that long, unless they want to put it on a museum. But if you want to waste your money on "real speed" then it's ok by me.

ankerson Guest
    Mr. Bean:

I am a tech so I know alittle about overclocking, I have seen alot of fried processers in my 15 years in the business. It is not recommended to overclock cpu's because of the heat they generate when they run at a speed that they are not designed for, no that celeron will not last 6 years, maybe 1 or 2 if you are lucky. I get all my parts wholesale, so I have alittle advantage.

[This message has been edited by ankerson (edited 06-03-99).]

Well Ankerson... I have heard of people having their overclocked CPU's for more than 2 years. Ive read an article somwhere claiming that cpu's are designed to last about 15 years, and overclocking, of course with proper cooling, will mean that the CPU will last for about 6-8 years. I probably won't keep my CPU for more than 1 or 2 years anyway.

*sigh* It's a *PIII*!!!

-Kev.
    -Kev.

Ankerson,

You can be a technician but proves that knows nothing about overclocking when you say you got no speed gain...I think you never seen a Celery 300 running at 450 or a P-III 450 running at 580.

I agree with you about the processor lifetime, but normally a CPU last at least 10 years, and overclocking can reduce it by half, that's 5 years.. how many people you know that keeps the same processor for 5 years ?

I absolutely agree with you Stingray overclocking is a poor (and smart) man's high end machine. Not alot of people will keep their CPU for more than a couple of years anyway.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bean (edited 06-07-99).]

Another thing to consider about overclocking a PIII especially when it comes to the FSB is that ALL of your hardware ends up getting overclocked (CPU, memory, peripheral cards, chipset, etc.) So you have to consider the longevity of all components, not just the CPU. The PIII is already a powerful processor, and in most cases, in order to obtain a noticeable difference in performance, you would need to overclock your system a significant amount(I recently put together a PIII-500 system). I must admit that I have played around with clock speeds on my ASUS P2B-F(up to 115MHZ FSB) and there is no noticeable difference in any software I have tested. What's the point of getting at best an additional 1-3 fps if your fps are already in the 60's-90's range (1024x768) depending on the software?

------------------
    DTECH
    DTECH

I agree with the techician guy without extra cooling your cpu's will burn out fast I've heard of idiots killing there cpu's in under three minutes I'm assuming most people arn't that dumb but still a PIII 450 o/c ed to 500+ isn't going to make much of a differance most people wouldn't notice it I say if you cant get atleast 25% bonus with the same or greater stability I wouldn't try it. I have a PIII 450 and it's pretty hot already I like it being stable, not unoticably faster besides I want to make sure it will live three years just to be safe

------------------
    Dustin Doyle:
    "Good luck and don't eat yellow snow."

I'm no expert on overclocking but I do have a couple of suggestions:

1. If you have a video card that will benefit from a higher cpu then that's good, if you have someting like a G200 then your only major improvement will be on 2D games. You will see a small improvement in 3D games.

2. I personally would try to overclock the video card if you can, or just buy a faster one. This way your not overclocking every component on the bus with a P3. Celerons are ideal for overclocking since they're cheap and they only affect the chip itself.

I don't know if any of that helps, but good luck.

- DJ

Thread Information