Beating a Dead Horse
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Beating a Dead Horse

Hybrid View

Beating a Dead Horse

I want to go over the Windows Swap File (one more time). I'm now running Windows 7 64 bit, with 24GB of RAM. I run a memory usage app, and it consistantly shows I never really use even HALF of my physical memory. Yet, everything I can find says to leave the page file anywhere from 1 to 3 times system memory. So far I've left Windows to do it, and it keeps it at 25GB. Why?? What about the option of making 10-12GB into a RAM drive, and putting the swap file on it? No, I'm not having performance issues, I'm just curious and I can never leave well enough alone.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Don't reserve 12GB of ram for the swap is bad ram use. Why don't you make the swap a variable size 1GB to 24GB, your swap will never get increase over that minimum 1GB size. Leave the swap on the hard-drive, setting-it in ram won't improve your computer speed anyway.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

I have 8 gigs of ram on my Win 7 machine and very seldom use half of it

Now a days the swap file is "set it and forget it."

Years ago I set my swap file to a ram drive. Sure seemed to go faster...but after the second time I had a system crash that was really ugly - I quit doing it... I also used to set my IE temp files to go to a ram drive... It too was faster... Then I switched to FF and could surf even faster

Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Because I have large ssd's now, (Intel 520 480GB), I stopped playing with the swap file. But, When I had those Intel 80GB G2 drives, I used a low value for the swap minimum size.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Article/link,

Personally,
    I would not bother with the 1.5x - 3x physical memory idea with specs of your system.
    I just let Windows deal Win 7 systems with large amount of memory.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Don't you guys miss the 640k barrier??
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Well, 640KB seemed huge when I had my first trs80 model 1 computer, with it's own 48KB limit.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Thread Information