graphics or monitor problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: graphics or monitor problem

graphics or monitor problem

I have an Acer AST180-Ua350b computer that is using an older CRT? monitor, the monitor keeps going black for me, I can enter data during the black outs and it will take the input. Does someone have an opinion if the problem is either the card or the monitor? It has been happening for a while and I borrowed some cards from my brother but never got around to trying them. It stopped happening so I gave them back to him and it is happening again. I suppose I will have to do some self tests to narrow it, but I just had surgery and am not able to move up and down the steps too much, and this one is in my basement, so any suggestions will take me time to get back here.
    Sylvia Hayes

Double check the VGA/DVI cable connections.

Test with another VGA/DVI cable, in some off chance that cable is damaged/defective.

If above suggestions fails to provide solution,
    The quickest way to troubleshoot would be to test with another/verified working video card.
    If monitor works fine with the verified working video card, then you know the monitor is source of issue.

I would lean more toward monitor being issue, simply because the computer is not emitting any beeps during POST for video card/chip failure.
    But then again, not sure if your Acer even emits any BIOS beep error codes during POST.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Shinma,

Another thing I was thinking of trying is to put a notebook connected to the monitor to help eliminate the monitor. It was so intermittent I thought I would just hold off. I will have to try it, may not get to it for a day or two, to allow time to see what happens. I will get back when I find out what happens. Thanks,
    Sylvia Hayes

I ran it for almost an hour this morning with my tablet, and it was okay, I will try it for a couple more days before going to the graphics card, I just want a cheap one it is just used in the basement to read email and web sites.

I should have my husband do your check first of the VGA/DVI cable connections, I will let you know.
    Sylvia Hayes

Sounds good.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The cable that goes from the monitor to the computer is hard wired into the monitor. We are trying to figure out it the graphics card is built into the motherboard, it seems like it is, my husband will take off the panel tomorrow to at least look at that. I run the computer down the basement for around an hour each morning and will be doing so and that is why it may take time to observe it.
    Sylvia Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by slhayes
    ... The cable that goes from the monitor to the computer is hard wired into the monitor...
    If that is the situation,
    Easier to just test with another video card instead.

Quote Originally Posted by slhayes
    ... We are trying to figure out it the graphics card is built into the motherboard, it seems like it is, ...
    Correct.
    According to the Acer specifications, it has onboard video chip.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

It ran normally with the netbook this morning. May still give it some time because it ran for a long time normally after a couple of periods where it would just keep going black over and over. I don't want to spend $50 for a graphics card for this machine, since I have the netbook I can use in its place.
    Sylvia Hayes

The other day I accidentally turned on the problem computer instead of the netbook which was still hooked to the monitor, so I went ahead and connected the monitor to the desktop computer and ran it, the first day it ran fine then today and I think it may have been yesterday it began affecting the monitor again. It is looking more likely the problem is the graphics card and at the present time I don't have a card to put into that machine. I had borrowed one from my brother probably 6 months ago, and I am not sure if I returned it to him and can't find it. He has others, I may ask him later the next time we go to see him. If and when I get to that point I will post back again to let it be known if it helps, my other option may be to just give the machine away and let whoever gets it know what is happening. I will post after I get to this point. Thank you Shinma
    Sylvia Hayes

Alright then. Good luck.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

The cable is hardwired into the monitor, but not into the computer, it has the usual connector to the computer. I did try that a while back but can't remember what exactly happened because at first my husband wanted to try a small flat panel tv we have here and the color got so goofy I went back to the original monitor. As far as what is going on now, it worked fine for a few more days then this morning it acted up again. I am just putting up with it at this point and will have to devote more time to it later on. When it works there are no complaints, but when it acts up it is really bad.
    Sylvia Hayes

Thread Information