[RESOLVED] Memory not recognized
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Memory not recognized

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Memory not recognized

I just finished upgrading my system from XP to Win7 64, mainly to get the benefit of the extra memory available to the system. My mobo holds a max of 16GB. I originally had 4GB of 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Memory (9-9-9-24)(CL 9)(1.5V).

I ordered a 4-pack of 4GB sticks DDR3 1600, CL 8, 8-8-8-24, 1.5V that were selected and supposedly compatible for my mobo. I remover the 2-2GB sticks and installer the four new sticks. Turned the system on and no beep, no nothing. The system would not recognize the memory.

I removed all the new sticks and reinstalled the original two sticks and it started right up. I removed the two sticks and installed a single stick and tried to start the system. Nothing. I tried each stick individually and nothing. I tried two sticks and nothing. I requested an RMA from the seller, but was wondering if there is something that I have not tried to get the system to recognize the memory?
    AMD Athlon II X4
    Asus M4A785TD-EVO
    Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt
    4 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
    320 GB Maxtor IDE
    1-500 GB WD SATA
    Asus 52X SATA DVD
    Win 7 64

You might have tried resetting the bios. Sometimes, you need to do so, so the new ram timings are detected.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Resetting or flashing? Reset to default config? Please explain further. Thanks!
    AMD Athlon II X4
    Asus M4A785TD-EVO
    4 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
    320 GB Maxtor IDE
    1-500 GB WD SATA
    Asus 52X SATA DVD
    Win 7 64

Reset via the reset jumper on the motherboard.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Pretty sure he meant reset to defaults.

Filling all four slots on a motherboard always introduces more issues than only two irrespective of the total amount of ram. Sometimes increasing the ram voltage slightly when all four slots are used will solve issues. Backing off timings is another solution. Neither of these explains why your board would not boot with only one or two sticks of the new ram. Let us know if resetting the bios works.

Just resetting (Clear CMOS) should do fine at first.

If you decide to RMA the memory, check the Memory QVL on Asus's site if you have not already to ensure you get compatible memory. If it helps, I used the exact same motherboard in an Athlon II X2 build for my aunt and it worked great with a 4GB of this memory (yes I know, not in the QVL but close ).

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Reset the CMOS, reinstalled memory. Still no POST, black screen, no beep. Tried again with a single stick, still nothing. Funny thing, I used the online memory check on Crucial, I I came up with a different memory recommendation that when I entered the Mobo number.

The manufacturer is on the QVL, but the memory model number is not. The QVL must be several years old because the kit/model numbers I looked up were no longer listed by the manufacturers.
    AMD Athlon II X4
    Asus M4A785TD-EVO
    4 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
    320 GB Maxtor IDE
    1-500 GB WD SATA
    Asus 52X SATA DVD
    Win 7 64

I think you have to rma this memory for another type.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Ditto.
    Contact store/manufacturer for RMA.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

RMA'd the memory. Spoke to CS rep and they indicated that the memory they originally suggested was too dense. They are sending replacement that should work.
    AMD Athlon II X4
    Asus M4A785TD-EVO
    4 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
    320 GB Maxtor IDE
    1-500 GB WD SATA
    Asus 52X SATA DVD
    Win 7 64

Out of curiousity,
    What was the brand and model of the memory?
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Crucial...I have purchased from them in the past and always had good service and never any problems
    AMD Athlon II X4
    Asus M4A785TD-EVO
    4 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
    320 GB Maxtor IDE
    1-500 GB WD SATA
    Asus 52X SATA DVD
    Win 7 64

Great, you should be back in business soon.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Memory Replacement not Working

OK, I am returning the third set of memory. The installation of all three sets have resulted in the same performance, or lack thereof. I tried all combinations of placement, one stick, two sticks, then three and four. When I restart, the system powers on, then at the point I should get the beep, nothing. I let it run for 2-3 minutes and still nothing. I reset the CMOS. I looked at the ASUS website and see that there are 18 BIOS updates I can download. Since I have never flashed a BIOS before, do I download the most recent version and that will contain the previous 17 versions? One earlier version actually solves a problem with hanging during a post with some brands of DDR3 memory. Which update should I download?
    Last edited by Scott101; November 28th, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
    AMD Athlon II X4
    Asus M4A785TD-EVO
    4 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
    320 GB Maxtor IDE
    1-500 GB WD SATA
    Asus 52X SATA DVD
    Win 7 64

Bios updates are cumulative. You only need to install the latest one. I've flashed a lot of bios but only by floppy (old school), but I recently used a program called Rufus to make a usb flash drive bootable, in my case with a live linux distro. The info I've read in the past always advised avoiding flashing a bios through Windows. Personally I would use a flash drive and not flash through Windows.

Thread Information