September 17th, 2012, 07:04 PM
[RESOLVED] Electricity question
I have a brand new Coleman lantern that I got from a friend. It has a rechargable battery in it that is dead now. He said he lost the power supply charger for it. It t akes an output of 13.5V and 300ma adapter to charge it. I have collected many power units over the years and have many that I can fit into this slot on the bottom of the lantern. They are many different configurations. What is the range of voltages and ma can I use to charge this lantern without burning down the house?
Can I get a voltage range and a ma range. I have some that are close like 12V and 300ma and various others. What is more important the V or the ma(milliamps)?
September 17th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Don't use a 12V (actual measured 12V) power brick. If the lantern battery is 12V, it will take something like 14V peak to charge it.
Put a multimeter on the bricks you have and measure the actual output. One marked 12V may put out a higher voltage, enough to charge.
But if that lantern battery is a lead acid, chuck it. A nicad or lithium ion can sit discharged, but a lead acid, whether your car battery or a gel cel, can't.
September 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM
It is a 6Vm 2.36Ah Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Battery. I think I can get a different type. So if it was a nicad or lithium then still you say I need to use a power adapter higher than 12V? What about milliamps does that matter? I guess I don't understand electricity that much.
September 18th, 2012, 07:09 AM
___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
\____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
\_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
\_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
September 19th, 2012, 04:59 AM
If it's 6V it will take something a little higher voltage to charge it. Not being an expert and just guessing, maybe 7V. The amperage rating will determine the charge rate and I won't claim to know that. But it would seem you have a lead acid gel cell. As I said, a rechargeable nicad, NiMh, or lithium ion can sit discharged, but a lead acid cannot. It will be toast, you'll need a new one, and you'll have to keep it charged. Same thing for the lead acid gel cell in a UPS, by the way. If you were in Vancouver you could go to Polar Battery, the best place for any kind of batteries (as a couple of us at work were talking about today.)
December 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM
December 11th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Go to SpywaredDr link and get the proper power supply. You don't even know if your power adapter is wire with the same polarity as your lantern.
As a note, a lithium battery should never be stored at below 40% charge.
December 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks. I did throw it away though. But still good information for others to use and myself. Glad someone knows what they are talking about. Thanks again.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)