Trying to setup my wired home network correctly
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Trying to setup my wired home network correctly

Trying to setup my wired home network correctly

I can't seem to figure out how to 'properly' get my WIRED home network setup ... well properly.

2 Desktop computers, one office.

Both connected via Cat 5e and Cat 6 cable to a ASUS Switch (GX-D1051) which I just purchased a few days ago. It is a 10/100/1000. The switch connects to the wall port, which goes to the closet where our modem is. I have this connected plugged into the VIP port on the switch.

My computer mobo is a ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe, and has TWO LAN ports. Both are Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Currently the cable is connected to LAN2.

When connected to LAN2 on the mobo, the speed light on the mobo is GREEN which as per the manual, indicates 1 Gbps connection. The light on the switch however is orange (indicating a 100Mbps connection).

Now, if I switch my cable on the mobo to LAN1, the speed light on the mobo goes Orange. However on the switch it turns GREEN. What gives? Shouldn't it be green on both sides?

***update***

While writing this post, I did some testing (switching cables from LAN1 and LAN2). While doing this, I noticed the speed lights are both green now.

I also went into the Advanced setting on the adapters. Under the Property tab, I changed Speed & Duplex to Auto Nego. and also to 1000 Mbps Full Duplex. Even while doing this the light on the switch is still orange, HOWEVER if I change to 100 Mbps Full Duplex, the light on the switch goes GREEN?

That being said, I tested out doing a file transfer to my other computer. Transferring a large 2GB file transfers at the rate of around 12MB/s while on 100Mbps FD, however if I change to 1000Mbps, I get a burst of almost 150MB/s then down to around 100MB/s.

Since information was not provided in your details,
    Your network will default to the slowest component.
    e.g. If even one active system/adapter/node... is not gigabit, that is what your entire network will run at.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information