[RESOLVED] Acer 6592 laptop fingerprint scanner
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Acer 6592 laptop fingerprint scanner

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Acer 6592 laptop fingerprint scanner

I'm attempting to buy an Acer 6592 laptop that has the fingerprint scanner activated. On the first attempt, the seller, for whom the scan is currently activated, could not deactivate it. I did some research and determined how to get into the bios and where the scanner controls are, so we will likely make another attempt hopefully tonight.

Note: the seller is the one currently set up on the scanner. I saw him log in on his finger print several times. Take your finger off that lock button, Shinma.

In my reading I saw one mention of not being able to delete the scans. I just wondered if anyone here had any experience with these. The scanner lives in Windows, but it pops up before Windows loads, which initially led me to believe it lived in the bios. I'm just trying to be careful that I don't end up with a laptop that I'm locked out of, because I intend to play around with this, try an SSD I have, and some OS other than XP.

These came from the Vanoc dispersal sale after the Winter Olympics. I have one and I didn't figure out how to set up the fingerprint scanner on mine. Probably a good thing. If I can get this other one, it'll be a backup and something to play with.

The HP business models that I dealt with in the past,
    The fingerprint scanners required configuration in the BIOS and software configuration within Windows to function correctly.

Even where the fingerprint scanner was active,
    The HP permitted use of password as well.

Although models officially supported both XP and Vista,
    Only tested with Windows XP software, never tested with Windows Vista.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    The fingerprint scanners required configuration in the BIOS and software configuration within Windows to function correctly.

Even where the fingerprint scanner was active,
    The HP permitted use of password as well.
    Exactly the same with IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. All registered fingerprints can be deleted using the Windows interface. However, doing so does not delete the password(s) that are registered in the BIOS. IOW, the fingerprint reader simply ties your fingerprint to the registered password . . . so that you can simply use your fingerprint instead of typing in the password.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; March 24th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Your advice was applicable to the Acer. It was popping up a password screen any time you tried to get into the bios. He had reinstalled before selling and tried to get rid of the fingerprint scan, and when that didn't go away, he deleted the scan program. It would not boot to my UBCD disk, but he got it to boot to the Acer restore disks his father had bought for him. Mine has a restore partition on the image Vanoc installed before the dispersal sale. We reinstalled the Acer, got my fingerprints scanned, but when it was all done after the interminable Windows install reboots, it would not boot, stopping at the bios password screen. I thought we were done, but he phoned later. He tried some passwords and found the one. He hadn't remembered passwording it. I suspect the second reinstall must have triggered the bios password lock.

I now have the laptop, and the bios password. I've been into the bios a few times, changed the boot order, but I cannot access the password lines on the Security page. I would like to remove the password, or at least change it. Does anyone know, from your IBM or HP experience, if either restoring bios defaults or flashing the bios will remove this?

On the HP business models,
    Changing the boot order has no impact whatsoever on the BIOS password requirement.
    Last time I dealt with it, if memory serves,
    I entered blank as new password to reset it.

Other consumer models requires that you reset via the proprietary security software options, then reset BIOS...

Depending on model,
    Another method was to enter the CMOS/BIOS menu, then select factory defaults, save and exit.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

IBM/Lenovo does not have any way to 'hack' (change/remove/get around) any ThinkPad BIOS (or encryption) passwords. With proof of ownership they will replace the motherboard (or hard drive). It's not cheap though.
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

I only changed boot order for my own uses (cd/dvd first). I can't even access the three password lines in the bios, let alone change the two that are in use. The Acer XP restore install in it now has the fingerprint scanner activated in Acer's security utility and a password on the XP admin/user (me). The bios shows the bios password and the OS password in use, and the hdd password unused.

Are you suggesting that I try and remove the fingerprint scan or XP password on the install in order to access the bios passwords? I'm not sure the Acer utility will give me that option, though a reinstall might. The current install will not stay (not with Norton on it). At the very least I would image the install in mine and put that in, since the hardware is identical. That would also give me an install that's updated and with all my software.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceMan
    ... Acer 6592 ... I can't even access the three password lines in the bios, let alone change the two that are in use...
    According to the Acer Service Guide,
    That means that the seller only provided the User Password with limited functions and not the required Supervisor Password...

My suggestions above will not work obviously, since you only have the User Password.

Notes:
    Have seller try Supervisor Password in CAPS. Acer states in service guide that 6592 is not case sensitive.
    Remind seller that Acer typically limits password to only 8 alphanumeric characters.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Just like SpywareDr post,

Following posted at Acer:

How can a BIOS password be removed?

In order to remove a BIOS password your computer will need to be sent to Acer for repair. This service is not covered under warranty and password removal charges will apply to have the password removed. To set your computer up for repair service to have a BIOS password removed, please contact Acer support.

BIOS password = Supervisor Password
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    BIOS passwords scare me to death. We see way too many threads about forgotten passwords. Maybe the use of such has enterprise value, but I am a small shop. Less is sometimes more.

I have an HP business model. I upgraded from XP to Win 7 64-bit. This thread got me curious enough to install the fingerprint reader, which I had not re-activated since the upgrade.

At least on mine, BIOS password is not needed. The HP software appears to apply/link through Windows. Yes, I have the option of scanning a fingerprint or typing in the user password.

DanceMan, that does not help you, though. Is the existence of a BIOS password affecting your use, or is its existence more of an aggravation?

First off, thanks Shinma. I checked out the user manual, but it lacks the detailed info on the passwords that the service manual contains.

And Jimbo, it appears to be just an aggravation at this point. I've disabled the password on boot, and that's held.

My experience does not match the manual but does match Shinma's last post. The manual says that if a Supervisor password is set, you cannot enter the bios or make changes and that a user password lets you enter the bios but not make changes. So far I've only changed the boot order, but I would need access to the IDE vs. AHCI switch, which I think I have, to install newer OS. The manual's instructions on how to clear the Supervisor password conflict with the post at Acer, which would seem to match my experience so far.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, all of you, and especially Shinma. I went back into the bios again to make sure I could change to AHCI and on the security page, below the three password settings I could not access were Set Supervisor Password and Set User Password. I don't think they were there before, but I have missed enough things that were right in front of my eyes before that I would not bet on it. I cleared it, it's gone, I'm back to the original clean slate.
    And for the record this business class Acer TravelMate is a solid machine. Mine has stayed home except for once so it has not been subject to the banging around many will get, but nothing has gone soft yet. The hinge is still tight (on both), and there have been no issues. Even the power connector is still tight, and mine is used batteryless on my lap. And of course there's the matte screen.

Glad we could assist.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information