Hard Drive password forgotten, want to use drive!!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hard Drive password forgotten, want to use drive!!!

Hard Drive password forgotten, want to use drive!!!

Probably this is en exercise in futility, but you never know...

I'm sure this is a touchy subject, but here's the deal. I got some old laptop drive, have no idea where it came from, only that some idiot password locked it and then forgot the password so it ended up in my drawer. I don't care about the data; I'd just like to wipe it and be rid of the password so it can be reused, but now I don't even know if it's even good anymore.

It's been a long time since I dealt with this thing so I can't remember if I only tried to access it in the laptop it came out of or if I plugged it into my desktop, but now, when I plug it into the desktop (that laptop is long gone), it will detect in BIOS, but it's invisible in Windows, and I can't seem to make Windows see it at all (7 x64), but seeing it in BIOS leads me to believe that the password could be preventing Windows from seeing it?

Is there any hope at all?
    Share on Google+

The HDD password is stored in the disc's firmware so typical/standard erase software will have no impact at all.

Contacting laptop manufacturer with proof of ownership, plus possible/likely service fee may provide access to the HDD.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    Share on Google+

Yes but a new firmware and low level format ought to do it. I see some stuff in my searching that suggests this might be able to be done fairly easily if you don't care about the data and I don't.

Oh and interestingly it will show in OS X but of course shows as unreadable.
    Share on Google+

Good luck then.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    Share on Google+

Lenovo > Full Disk Encryption Hard Disk Drive Frequently Asked Questions
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/rese...cID=MIGR-69621
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/
    Share on Google+

Why is this listed resolved? Nothing's been resolved other than that I'm nearly ready to give up. It's a shame that they make it impossible to recycle the drive IMHO but I guess if the data was vital there's good reason for it.

I think, but can't know for sure unless someone can confirm this, but what I found online is that some have said the only way to get this drive unlocked is to go to someone and pay crazy money, or to work it out on the same machine where the password was set. Does anyone know if this is true?

I appreciate the link SpywareDr, but all I can tell for sure is that if the password had been set on a Thinkpad then a Thinkpad might be able to be used to unlock the drive. But can it be done from any other machine?

I found this, but I'm reluctant to buy it not knowing if I can do this without the original laptop it comes from? That's also a lot of money to spend on something that can only be used once. I guess I need to try and get through the EULA to see if a refund is possible before I try it unless someone here can confirm that this will work?
    Share on Google+

Legal method already suggested.
    Contact laptop manufacturer with proof of ownership.

Thread topic is dealing with bypassing a security feature,
    This thread now locked.

If you disagree with thread lock,
    Feel free to contact any of the administrators to unlock.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information