[RESOLVED] Need Help installing Windows XP on Computer with Virus - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need Help installing Windows XP on Computer with Virus

List/state components of your system.
    State type of Windows XP disc in question.

Displayed error typically associated with driver issue(s), specifically the hard drive.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Its a Dell Dimension E520 and I am trying to install Windows XP Professional

Quote Originally Posted by ggalv
    ... Its a Dell Dimension E520 and I am trying to install Windows XP Professional
    Double check your BIOS/CMOS menu settings re: hard drive and RAID.
    If RAID is applicable,
    Double check HDD configuration as well.

Link,
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Here is where I am at right now:

I am still trying to figuere out what I need to do with the BIOS/CMOS regarding hard drive and raid. Never really worked with a raid hard drive, so appreciate any advice on what I need to do. But if the computer was working for awhile, wouldn't that setting already be correct in the BIOS? Also, when I go to Drive 0, it has RAID On.

One thing that I noticed, that at boot up, it says that this drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS. Not sure what does that mean.

Also when I try to install windows xp, believe it mentions something about F6 for raid, do I need to press that? I tried it and I get the following: Setup could not determine the type of one of or more mass storage devices installed in your system, or you have chosen to manually specifiy an adapter . Currently, Setup will load support for the following mass storage devices (s): (none)

In the Boot Device Menu, there was a Hard Drive Diagnostic. I ran it for the Drive 0: ST3808110AS and it passed.
    Last edited by ggalv; March 17th, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Just a wild shot here: what version of XP are you trying to install? (pre-sp1/sp1/2/3)?

If it's pre-sp1, you will need to load a SATA driver before you can begin installation; that's when you hit the f6 key. But by reading the link Shinma provided with the manual, I would imagine it would be sp2+
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

The windows xp that I am using is service pack 1. Do you think I need to load the SATA drivers? Appreciate if you can help me out on how to do this if I need to install the drivers.

THANKS

I obtained the following from this site and now it seems that I am able to install windows xp. Below it mentions that there is little advantage on a computer that uses a single hard drive. Is that meant for internal hard drives only or also external hardrives plugged in through USB? Is it possible for me to run into problems later on by having installed windows xp through ATA mode instead of AHCI mode?

After I install windows xp, do you guys know how to go back to AHCI mode?

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19875556.aspx

The first is to restart the computer, press F2 for system setup, navigate to the SATA controller in the menu, and set it to RAID Autodetect/ATA. This sets the controller to an IDE compatible mode that the native drivers on the Windows XP installation CD will find the hard drive.

If you choose to install Windows with the SATA controller set to RAID Autodetect/ATA the computer should work perfectly well in that mode. There is little advantage to using the AHCI modes on a computer that uses only a single hard drive. If you wish to switch back to AHCI mode after you have installed Windows using the ATA mode, there is a way you can do this after Windows has been installed.
    Last edited by ggalv; March 18th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

... Is it possible for me to run into problems later on by having installed windows xp through ATA mode instead of AHCI mode? ...
    Specifically due to ATA versus AHCI in WindowsXP, no.

... After I install windows xp, do you guys know how to go back to AHCI mode? ...
    A set standard method, none.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information