[RESOLVED] Mobo/CPU upgrade question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] Mobo/CPU upgrade question

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Mobo/CPU upgrade question

Hi all

First question here for a long time, but this still seems as good a place as any to ask it

I'm finally upgrading my CPU and mobo this week. The trusty Q9550 and P35 mobo have served me well for about 4 years as I haven't had the money to upgrade them until now. In the meantime I've changed my graphics card twice, but am suffering from the law of diminishing returns there, as the CPU is bottlenecking my GTX480.

So I have a Z77 mobo and i7 3770 arriving today. As this new CPU has the same number of cores as my current one (4), do you reckon I can get away with swapping my existing Win 7 x64 hard drive straight into the new hardware? I know there's a separate issue around motherboard drivers, (particularly SATA controller) causing BSOD's when changing to a new mobo, and an ideal world I'd do a fresh install, but I've used Acronis' Universal Restore features successfully in the past to get around this issue. So it's just the question around the CPU specifically that I'm interested in.

At the end of the day, I've taken a full image of my current Win 7 install, so I guess I've nothing to lose by trying. Worst that can happen is it doesn't work and I have to go for the reformat after all......

Dan
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy27
    ... So I have a Z77 mobo and i7 3770 arriving today. As this new CPU has the same number of cores as my current one (4), do you reckon I can get away with swapping my existing Win 7 x64 hard drive straight into the new hardware? ...
    Never encountered change of processor as source of issue during upgrade.
    The mobo is a different story altogether.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks Shinma.

It was all fine in the end - no BSOD's. The only complication was I had to dig out an old PS/2 mouse, as without the correct USB drivers installed my USB keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. But I now have all the correct USB and chipset drivers installed and all seems to be running well.

Just one question though - my i7 3770 only gets a Windows experience score of 7.2, which I think is the same as the old Q9550. That doesn't seem right to me, especially as google suggests people with 3770k's are getting a score of 7.8. The 'k' version is 100mhz faster than mine (3.5 vs 3.4), but I'd still expect mine to get at least 7.6.

FSB and multiplier are set correctly (100 * 34) so I'm a bit puzzled by it. I know I shouldn't be concerned about artificial Microsoft benchmarks, but it makes me wonder if something's not set quite right in the BIOS.

cheers
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, Ivy Bridge i7 3770, nVidia GTX480 1.5Gb, 16Gb Corsair 1600MHz, Creative X-Fi, Seagate 500Gb SATA II, DGM 23" Widescreen TFT

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

M.C.S.A.

FYI - regarding the USB mouse - look in the BIOS for the option-> Enable USB Legacy Devices.

Just one question though - my i7 3770 only gets a Windows experience score of 7.2, which I think is the same as the old Q9550. That doesn't seem right to me, especially as google suggests people with 3770k's are getting a score of 7.8. The 'k' version is 100mhz faster than mine (3.5 vs 3.4), but I'd still expect mine to get at least 7.6.
    When you open windows task manager, do you see 8 cores? If not, reinstall the cpu drivers. Even though, everything seems to be working fine, you might want to install chipset, sound etc drivers from the mobo manufacturer.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    FYI - regarding the USB mouse - look in the BIOS for the option-> Enable USB Legacy Devices.
    Thanks, I'd already checked that though. The fix was to install the drivers for the Etron USB 3.0 Host controller from the Gigabyte CD (or their website).

M.C.S.A.

To finish off the question for others,
    Noticed following at another site.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy27
    ... I found the problem in the end.

All day I'd been thinking that I'd upgraded from a quad core CPU to another quad core CPU, forgetting that the new one is hyperthreaded - so I should now be seeing 8 cores in Task Manager.

Had a dig around in msconfig > boot > advanced and noticed that 'number of processors' was ticked, and set to 4 (which would've been the correct number at the time). I must've ticked this at some point in the past.

Anyway unticked it, rebooted and I now have 8 cores in Task Manager, and WEI scores my CPU as 7.7 ...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I was going to post back with the outcome this evening. Thanks to Gilles for pointing me in the right direction with the number of cores. That reminded me about the setting I'd ticked in msconfig back in the mists of time.

All good now, 8 cores in task manager and a 7.7 CPU rating in WEI.

Thanks all for the help, especially Gilles

M.C.S.A.

You are welcome. Enjoy your new toy.
    Gilles Lussier

HWC Folding@Home Team

Thread Information