[RESOLVED] Won't save web info and logins
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Won't save web info and logins

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] Won't save web info and logins

Fresh install of win7 ultimate. Never had this problem before and don't know why I have it now. My browser will not save my website login info. Soon as I reboot I have to log back into all my sites.

Also, on a side note, I have a few programs that will not keep their icons. Malwarebytes, Regclean Pro and another one that I can remember lose the shortcut icons and I get the generic icon that shows up when windows doesn't know what program to use to open something. BUT, they all still work.

The login cookie problem is the most important. Yes, I checked my browser for boxes checked that delete cookies on shutdown etc. Everything looks right.
    *This space for rent*

Which browser are you using?

Do you have any other cleaner type app like Regclean Pro? Maybe it's wiping your cookies?

If you're using Internet Explorer, make sure you haven't selected "Delete browsing history on exit".

If you're using Firefox, make sure you haven't selected "Never remember history".

If you're using Chrome, make sure you haven't selected "Clear cookies and other site data when I close my browser".
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Using IE8 and I have made certain that all the apprpriate boxes were checked/unchecked. I do use ccleaner, but it is not running in the background and when I do use it I have the cookies box unchecked. Everything, as far as I can tell, is set up just the way it was before the reinstall. The only thing I can surmise is that MS had some kind of update that changed this fresh install. Maybe that would account for the little yello0w and blue shields on some menu items and icons also.
    *This space for rent*

Try toggling the auto complete settings.

Quote Originally Posted by The*Q* View Post
    Using IE8 and I have made certain that all the apprpriate boxes were checked/unchecked. I do use ccleaner, but it is not running in the background and when I do use it I have the cookies box unchecked. Everything, as far as I can tell, is set up just the way it was before the reinstall. The only thing I can surmise is that MS had some kind of update that changed this fresh install. Maybe that would account for the little yello0w and blue shields on some menu items and icons also.
    Had you changed/lowered any of the stock security settings to your OS before you reinstalled it? You may need to crank them down a notch.

Maybe that would account for the little yello0w and blue shields on some menu items and icons also.
    The little yellow and blue shield (UAC shield) means those items need administrator privileges to run.
    Doc

\_______/

Nope. Security setting are the same. Also, SpywareDr, I know about the UAC and admin privs, but I didn't have any of these issues with the last install. Same disk, same computer, etc. Plus, Malwarebytes and Reg Clean Pro have generic icons instead of their installed icons. These are the only two affected.
    *This space for rent*

Some all-in-one security suites, intending to be helpful, will also wipe cookies, history... as well.
    Also some web browser plug-ins.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinma View Post
    Some all-in-one security suites, intending to be helpful, will also wipe cookies, history... as well.
    Also some web browser plug-ins.
    I'm very careful about what I load and always shy away from the "security suites" and such. I use Avast for AV and Malwarebytes to scan weekly. I use Reg Clean Pro to keep the registry tuned up. Ccleaner cleans the temp files and crap but I have the cookies box unchecked. Thats why this is baffling me.And the two wierd icons is also troubling.
    *This space for rent*

I use Reg Clean Pro to keep the registry tuned up.
    Broni - Jun 17 2011, 06:17 PM
    http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php...ded&show=&st=&
    Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:
    • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
    Doc

\_______/

Yeah, I've heard of all the pitfalls, but I've been using reg cleaners (RegSupreme and regclean pro) for years with never a hitch.
    *This space for rent*

Sounds like they may have finally "cleaned" (deleted) something you really depend on.
    Doc

\_______/

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Sounds like they may have finally "cleaned" (deleted) something you really depend on.
    Thats the funny part. It's a fresh install and I haven't used the cleaners yet. Not only a fresh install, it's the second fresh install within two weeks because of the same problem. I'm still thinking this has to be some sort of MS update because when I first built this machine I used the same disk to install Win7. Due to a virus (System Scan) I did a fresh install. And, I deleted the partitions, recreated the partitions and formatted them before the install. Both of these installs acted the same way. No icons for Malwarebytes, shield on peerblock and one other, and no saving login info.
    *This space for rent*

Microsoft has unlimited no-charge e-mail support for updates:
    If you don't live in the U.S., start here:
    Doc

\_______/

Thread Information