[RESOLVED] New Build ...... suggestions
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] New Build ...... suggestions

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] New Build ...... suggestions

OK - gonna build a new rig (for the most part) in my old, beloved, black CM Stacker 832 case....................cuz I love that huge mama.

Here's what I've decided on thus far:

Core i5-2500K
    SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL]
    Win 7 - Professional - x64

So, I'm lookin for some sage input for the following:
    -PSU: ~750W or so for multi-GPU | I haven't built a rig in 5 or 6 yrs (was a loyal PCP&C guy)
    -GPU: gotta be able to game on high-res - prob just get a single good card now (will use an old secondary GPU for third monitor) prefer nvidia-based cards and software (mostly from familiarity)
    -CPU cooler under $50 - quiet but can handle moderate overclocking attempts

Glad to answer any questions - Thanks for any input and time spent!

For power supplies,
    Seasonic is a brand that generally has a good reputation.
    Other specific models actually manufactured by Seasonic,

If costs is not an issue,
    The Seasonic X series is considered one of the best.

Since taken over by OCZ,
    PC Power & Cooling rarely manufactures their own anymore.

For video cards, following can be used as reference since price will vary depending on your store of choice,

For inexpensive heatsink,

You did not mention your store of choice and budget so, just used the store above for general reference.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Seconding Shinma on the CM Hyper 212 Evo for CPU cooling, it's really hard to beat for the price.

As for the GPU, which monitor resolution do you have or intend to get ? Also like Shinma said, giving us a budget range for the GPU will help to narrow it down (if you don't have a budget just get a GTX580 already )

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I run 3 22"s at 1680 x 1050 and would like to keep GPU budget under $250 - $300 tops.

I usually buy from NewEgg & occasionally from ZipZoomFly.

Within that budget you're pretty much in the range of the GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores (a limited edition model which is basically a slightly cut down 570, closer to the 570 in performance than a standard 560 Ti) or if you catch a sale, a GTX 570 after rebates.

As for the brands I'm not much in the know about those for nVidia so perhaps someone else will chime in, but usually eVGA and MSI are well regarded.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Could get a 560 Ti 448 core for $255 after mail-in, but here's the hitch facing my rationale: fried my Evga GTX 280 (along with my mobo), so I just want whatever I get to replace it to be noticeably better, not the best.
    I'm also thinking that, should I want to revisit SLi in the future for a performance boost with minimal investment, I should look for a card that could be fairly cheap, and perhaps most importantly, available in a year (give-or-take).

___not sure if any of that made sense___

btw - I rarely get time, but when I do, I currently play Crysis 2 or COD Black Ops ( 1680 x 1050)
    Last edited by leomac; February 19th, 2012 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leomac View Post

... fried my Evga GTX 280 ... so I just want whatever I get to replace it to be noticeably better, not the best.
    The Radeon HD 7970 is a bit better than a GTX 580. Don't know if it's a "noticeable" difference though.

The next two above that are the GTX 590 ($459.99) and the HD 6990 ($906.98).

Tom's Hardware > Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Well, if you don't use your 3 screens for gaming and only one at 1680x1050, a standard GTX 560 Ti would do fine, though I don't know firsthand how much better it is than the 280. I also have a 1680x1050 monitor with the equivalent card of the 560 Ti on the AMD side (6950) and it is well enough for me.

Maybe a 570 would be worth it for future-proofing a bit if your budget allows, or you could just get a 560 Ti and do SLI later if you need/want it.

Still you brought a good point: if you intend to do SLI later, a 560 Ti 448 Cores is not a good bet as they probably won't be available later this year unless you buy one used.

I did not find any benchmarks with the 280 vs 560 Ti, the closest I found was this one on Anandtech Bench with Crysis Warhead and the non-Ti 560 (a bit slower than a 560 Ti) vs a 285.

This is nothing more than food for thought.

For work, I recently spec/built 4 systems using the Radeon HD 7970. I set them up with AMD Eyefinity so I can output a single video to 3 HD TV's (video resolution is 5760x1080). The Eyefinity basically turns what would be three desktops into a single giant desktop stretched across three screens. The difference may not seem obvious, but most software tries to run within a single display. Eyefinity allows things to run on multiple displays seamlessly.

The same technique can be applied to gaming, although I've not had the opportunity to try it.

Something to note though, the cables can be a right pain in the rear. You're outputting from DisplayPorts which are awesome, but there's hardly any hardware that supports them yet. Because of that, you need to use adapters to convert them to DVI, but you need very specific active adapters if you want any hope of making Eyefinity work. The adapters that ship with the cards themselves have been the most reliable.

I tried some 3rd party "active" adapters and they failed miserably. Eyefinity wouldn't even present itself as an option with those attached.

OK, I just ordered the following from Newegg:

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0)
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Still needed:
    GPU - prob go with GeForce GTX 560 Ti

PSU - lookin for 750W - liked those rec'd by Shinma, prob get one of em, but was hopin for something at least semi-modular (less tucking and cramming).

Following are semi-modular versions, all Seasonic, in order of quality.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Cool Shinma, I'm diggin the SeaSonic, I noticed that for an extra $20, there's an 850W version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151108 - is it worth the extra $ - and would I even need it?

Short answer, no.

Your listed components, plus your references to the SSD and (4) HDDs... and capacitor aging factor of 30% for running 24/7,
    Even if you were to add a second GeForce GTX 560 Ti...
    You would not exceed the 750W.

If slightly higher noise level is not an issue,
    The XFX Pro750W XXX Edition has 80 Plus Silver certification, which is slightly better than Seasonic's own M12 II's Bronze cert.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Alrighty then, just pulled the trigger on those last two components:

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi)
    XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750W

.....should be building by the weekend.

Enjoy assembling your new system.

NB: When installing the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo be sure to read the manual thoroughly for correct configuration. e.g. pushpin positions...
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information