[RESOLVED] static shock - system down
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] static shock - system down

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] static shock - system down

OK - so I came back into my office (PC was on) and when I touched the mouse, there was a static charge and my PC shut down. When I try to power up, the tower lights up, fans spin, etc. but no initial MB beep, and no video.
    So, what is most likely fried? MB, CPU, etc.?

Any comments welcome - thanks!

You can try clearing the CMOS, then
    Test with another mouse in another port.

So in order of possible failures,
    Mouse > Mouse port > Motherboard.

Mouse, ports used by mouse/keyboard and even mobo damage is not unheard of with static shock(s) during winter.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Hey Shinma,
    I tried clearing the CMOS, and used an old ps2 mouse - no luck. Tried various combinations with RAM slots as well - no luck.
    The system (EVGA 780i) won't even give me a boot beep. The system has power - system fans & cooler fan spinning, mobo lights up, but I did notice that my main GPU (GTX 280) fan wasn't spinning. I removed it, took my secondary GPU (for third monitor) and placed in in one of the PCIx slots vacated by the main, and its fan spun, but still no post or video.

I'm thinking I'll need to replace the mobo - but then I'll need to find an LGA 775 mobo (if the CPU is ok), or go with a new CPU and MOBO.....and maybe RAM then - eek

If I had to take a guess, you should only have to replace the motherboard and maybe the mouse. If you have to replace ram, given the cost disparity between inexpensive DDR3 and more costly DDR2, I'd be tempted to replace the cpu as well. What it costs you will be at least somewhat offset by savings on DDR3 ram, and you'll likely end up with twice the ram compared to staying with DDR2. Unless I'm mistaken and your system already uses DDR3.

You're right DanceMan, uses DDR2.
    This was the oddest thing - Mouse (RAT-7) is fine - looks like I fried my MOBO and the GeForce GTX 280. Havent had time to test RAM on one of my other rigs yet.
    Looks like I'll be buying a new MOBO, CPU, RAM and GPU.

Thanks to both you, and Shinma for your help. Guess I should start a new thread lookin for suggestions on the new build, but I could use a jumpin-off point: so.........
    CPU - was an AMD man back in the day but switched to Intel with Core2 and Quad. No real pref now - prob go with best bang for buck on the CPU?
    GPU - always had good luck with Nvidia cards, but looks like ATI/AMD cards might be the better cost-performance option now?
    GENERAL PC USE - don't do as much gaming now as I used to, but still want to have the power to run titles like Crysis2 at highres, and I run a triple monitor set-up.

Tom's Hardware > System Builder Marathon, Dec. 2011:
    Doc

____________http://www.microsoft.com/security____________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

Another guide,

If costs is not an issue, Intel would be the route to go.

I transcode quite a bit, so back with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thanks for the input - gonna look over the links and will start a build thread when I've decided the general route.

one more question re. the damage done - I use 4 HDs in my system with the OS on an SSD - are SSDs particularly susceptible to static shocks - damage that might not be immediately evident?

As a precaution, if available,
    You could download/run the diagnostic utility from the SSD manufacturer.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Thread Information