Black Screen with white blinking Line
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Black Screen with white blinking Line

Black Screen with white blinking Line

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion P6000 Series Model # p6516f that during last use, randomly "shut down" on it's own. Really, it went to sleep, although I was using it at the time, but it only went black, so I manually shut it down.. ie. held the power button till it turned off. Now, when trying to start it, it comes up with only a black screen with a white blinking line... LINE, not cursor, on the top left corner. I checked all the external things, the prongs, the cables, every simple thing, and it's still doing it. Please help.

Do you see a post screen? A HP logo? A ram count? Hard drive detection? Anything like that?

Okay, so now that I personally tried it, what happens is that when I go to start it, it starts normally. I can enter BIOS, and do a system recovery, etc. There is only one option that I can do that will get it to the Windows "loading" screen, then it goes black with a white blinking cursor, not a mouse cursor, as though it should be loading something but isn't. I was going to do a complete system recovery, but thought I should wait.

Can you get it to boot up in Safe Mode (tapping F8 during the boot process)?

Perhaps try running a repair.

On start up, keep tapping F8 until the Advanced Boot Options screen is presented. In that menu, select the Repair your computer option. In the System recovery options menu, select Startup repair.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you may need to do the same thing again, but this time choosing System restore.

Thread Information