[RESOLVED] What temperture is this?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] What temperture is this?

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] What temperture is this?

My computer is crashing with no error messages and no warning. I leaning toward something is overheating.

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/l...rrent=temp.jpg

Also if you see something wrong viewing this please let me know.
    Ty
    Last edited by Shervie2; January 17th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

It could be the chipset temperature. You could try touching the big heatsink on the motherboard to verify.

I strongly suspect that it is temp monitoring software error. Not sure what you are using. Tried CPUID HWMonitor that has a similar interface to yours and my TMPIN2 reading is 128°C on my Crosshair IV. Using Asus PC Probe II, I don't have any overheating problems. I don't smell anything burning either.

I recommend using Asus temp software that is compatible with your motherboard from Asus's website.
    "Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
    Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Ditto.

Since the ASUS M3N78 PRO makes use of a nVIDIA chipset,
    I would suspect the chipset.
    Those chipsets generally tend to run even hotter than those from AMD.

With that said,
    Perhaps the chipset heatsink is not making full contact.
    May want to clean off the chipset heatsink and re-apply new thermal compound.

If not the chipset,
    I would then suspect the MOSFETs.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

Ok, first off, ty for the responses. I checked the clipset heatsink by touching it and its not that hot. I also realized the after leaving the computer off for many hours and starting it back up that the first thing I opened was speedfan and it was already reading 127c and it never changes, not 1 degree. I also got cpuid hm and theres no temps being reported anywhere near that. And I've had probe II from Asus which shows all is good. But reason I look at speedfan is because I wanted something the show the temp. in my system tray, miss motherboard monitor .

Anyway now I'm leaning toward I software issue for the crashing issue, like leftover ATI driver stuff from my old video card, RIP. I may try to format my hard drive and do a fresh re-install but damn, I got 1.5 TB hd and a bunch of stuff on it.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ASUS M3N78 PRO AM2 | 2GB G.SKILL Extreme Series Memory | Geforce GT 430 1 gig | 120 gig Seagate 8 meg cache ST3120026A | Lite-on LDW-811S DVDRW | Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 | Antec True Power 480w | Win XP Pro SP3 | Cable Modem

You probably already have, but consider running CCleaner to get rid of temp files and other accumulated detritus. You might also run the registry cleaner aspect of it.

Running something like Driver Cleaner will help get rid of the old drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shervie2
    ... I may try to format my hard drive and do a fresh re-install but damn, I got 1.5 TB hd and a bunch of stuff on it.
    A good reason to have at least two partitions.

One for the operating system and applications,
    and
    Second partition for storage of data.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

If it does not move it's likely just a false value and nothing to worry about. I have a reading on my motherboard which always reports 60C and on some rare occasions goes to 120-something C, triggering an alarm in some monitoring apps. The only solution I found is to disable monitoring of that value in the software where possible.

In CPUID Hardware Monitor that wonky sensor is listed as CPUTIN, but the actual sensor reporting the CPU socket temperature is SYSTIN and the chipset one is labeled AUXTIN

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Quote Originally Posted by Shervie2 View Post
    ...I got 1.5 TB hd and a bunch of stuff on it.
    Perhaps you could shrink a partition to get a little Windows install going to see if it fixes your issues?
    Intel 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Sapphire 6870 1GB | 8GB DDR31600 | Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 | 640 GB WD Caviar Black | 500GB WD something | ASUS Xonar DS | Logitech Z-5300e | Logitech G500 | Das Keyboard Cherry MX Brown | Dell S2740L

Quote Originally Posted by Shervie2 View Post
    ......I may try to format my hard drive and do a fresh re-install but damn, I got 1.5 TB hd and a bunch of stuff on it.
    Maybe buy a external hard drive to save your data. Then format and do a fresh install.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Thread Information