[RESOLVED] 32bit applications under 64bit windows 7?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: [RESOLVED] 32bit applications under 64bit windows 7?

Thumbs up [RESOLVED] 32bit applications under 64bit windows 7?

Been searching around the internet. But doesn't mention about any performance lags. Just talks about the technical specs of how 32bit apps run in emulation mode.

When I hear the term emulation, always makes me think that process' will run at a huge decreased in performance.

Or is there nothing to worry about since this is not even mentioned?

Only ask because my cousin wants to run autocad and photoshop for a new system I will be building for him. It will be his personal computer as well. So mostly be used for everyday tasks...

Most 32 bit apps will run just fine on a 64 bit system... There are actually very few 64 bit applications out there.

Both should work just fine; there's even a 64 bit photoshop out now.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Those two programs are the only reason why would go 64bit. It's the compatibility or stability I'm concerned about. Then again, I guess if worse comes to worse, could do a dual boot for 32 and 64...

a new system I will be building for him
    Are you going to have more than 3GB of RAM? If so, you're going to have to install a 64-bit OS anyway. Try it before you worry about "emulation" performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gazix View Post
    Those two programs are the only reason why would go 64bit. It's the compatibility or stability I'm concerned about. Then again, I guess if worse comes to worse, could do a dual boot for 32 and 64...
    Running Windows 7 64bit is an uneventful experience, which is a good thing. It's unlikely you'll ever encounter any issues that are a result of the 64bit nature of the operating system. Most people probably wouldn't even know they're running a 64bit operating system, it's fairly transparent.

Most of your applications will probably be 32bit anyway, typically because most applications would run no better in 64bit.

Running a dual-boot 32/64bit Windows really isn't necessary.

The only thing I can recommend, is don't go overboard trying to make all software on the system 64bit. For example, you can find a rare Firefox version compiled for 64bit, but you'll have more problems than it's worth getting plug-ins working.

When it comes to things like Java, you may need to install both the 32bit and 64bit version (depending on what you're running). Most of the time I've found the 32bit version will suffice, even under Windows 64bit.

I upgraded to 64 bit. No issues with my programs, and now I can use all of my RAM.

About the only issue I had was with older printers and trying to find drivers for them.

I have also had no issues running Windows 7 64bit. I can run all my programs and the only 64bit driver I had to find was for my video card.
    Intel Q6600 | Asus P5K SE | 4 GB DDR2 800 | 500GB Seagate SATA | 250GB Seagate SATA | 18x Pioneer SATA DVD-RW | 1 GB Geforce GTX 650 Ti | Logitech Keyboard & Mouse | 650 Watt Cooler Master PSU | Benq 22" LCD

Learn How to Join our Folding@Home Team - Detailed Folding@Home Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    I upgraded to 64 bit. No issues with my programs, and now I can use all of my RAM.
    Yep same here. No issues whatsoever and Photoshop 64 bit version runs much faster.

Thread Information