Windows 10 problems.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows 10 problems.

Windows 10 problems.

I built a pc with a ASUS 970 pro gamer mb and loaded ubuntu on it. Now have a OEM windows 10 64bit dvd that i want to install. I can't get it to read. I have swapped from uefi to legacy and so forth. Never get the boot option to load from uefi dvd at all. It will will try to read it, but just sit there with a blank screen with a blinking cursor. Finally tells me to "select a different bootable device" Tried another win 10 64 bit dvd used on another pc that i built 6 months earlier. It does the same thing so its not the dvd.
    Any ideas??
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left!!!!!

Are you trying to load it onto the HDD with the Ubuntu there in a dual boot setup? Or are you trying to have it format and overwrite what is on there now?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    Are you trying to load it onto the HDD with the Ubuntu there in a dual boot setup? Or are you trying to have it format and overwrite what is on there now?
    Trying to format and start new.

Okay. You may need to zero-fill the hard drive or otherwise fully erase it before you can proceed with a Windows format and installation.

I think you can use PartedMagic or similar Linux utility to do that. I have used the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard to do it, as that program can see the Linux partition, etc when Windows does not. That is a nice program to have, anyway, (helpful in partition re-sizing) so give that some thought.

I used partition magic to delete all partitions on the hdd. Still didn't boot from the win 10 dvd. Unhooked all drives except for dvd drive and it sits flashing green led reading dvd and the hdd red activity led on the case flashing. Blank monitor screen with flashing cursor. I don't under stand. Ubuntu dvd boots fine. The win 10 dvd boots fine in other pc's. I am at a loss.

If you go the the HDD maker's web site, there should be a utility available to zero-fill the drive. Depending on the size of the drive, that may take a while, but it should take the drive back to its out-of-the-box original condition as to formatting.

Seagate Tools may work on your drive as an alternative for a zero fill.

I will try that. It's a WD drive.

WD has a set of diagnostics that will do the zero fill.

http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

Suggest you elect the Full Erase option, not the Quick Erase.

I have now erased the hdd and zero filled it. Put it back in the pc and tried to boot off the win 10 dvd. Still after sitting there for 5 minutes it comes up with "non bootable device, insert bootable media". I tried a windows 7 pro OEM dvd i have and it gives the same error with Uefi turned off and secure boot disabled. I have Ubuntu, kbuntu and Linix mint dve's that all boot fine. HELP...lol

I made a usb bootable from a win 10 home pc that I have. Usb win 10 is working and installing now. Still don't know why dvd didn't work.

Hey-it's working. Add it to the list of things we don't understand, I guess. Congrats on getting it going!

Thread Information