Fresh install a Windows 10 installation after the free upgrade
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Fresh install a Windows 10 installation after the free upgrade

Fresh install a Windows 10 installation after the free upgrade

Hi guys, while since ive been on here but I need some help! Ive had a google search and cant seem to find the answer to my question.

My wife uses an Asus netbook that runs a small integrated SSD that once windows is installed, has around 4GB free - fine for her as its used as a cloud based machine, but Windows wont let me upgrade to the latest "anniversary" edition because there is not enough free space - this machine has just the OS installed, no files, apps or programs

I run a more modern version of the netbook too which shipped with Windows 10, so all I had to do was download the latest ISO and fresh install it, easy peasy.

But her machine was supplied with Windows 8.1 and now that the free upgrade offer has passed, I'm not sure how to go about fresh installing it?

any help or tips would be fantastic
    Martin
    Visit HardwareHackers for my latest projects!

Windows 10 has two partitions to it, like Windows 7. One has system files and is small, and the other has data, etc and is much larger. It may be that the system partition is too small. It should be about 500 Mb. You can check it and, if you need to, resize it with something like Minitool Partition Wizard Free. I had that sort of problem with upgrades from Win 7 to Win 10, and resizing the small partition from what had been there (100Mb) to 500 Mb took care of it nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    Windows 10 has two partitions to it, like Windows 7. One has system files and is small, and the other has data, etc and is much larger. It may be that the system partition is too small. It should be about 500 Mb. You can check it and, if you need to, resize it with something like Minitool Partition Wizard Free. I had that sort of problem with upgrades from Win 7 to Win 10, and resizing the small partition from what had been there (100Mb) to 500 Mb took care of it nicely.
    +1
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, EVGA GTX 1080, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Intel 750 pci-e x4 SSD 800gB, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Dell P2715Q 27" Ultra HD 3840x2160 4K LED IPS Monitor, Windows10 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1763 View Post
    Knew I could rely on this place, fantastic, will give it a go
    Visit HardwareHackers for my latest projects!

Thread Information