The Voodoo3 3000 doesn't fit in my PC!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: The Voodoo3 3000 doesn't fit in my PC!

Hybrid View

The Voodoo3 3000 doesn't fit in my PC!

I got a little bit of a problem here:

My 3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 doesn't fit on my P2B-F motherboard without the heatsink hitting the next PCI card.

I know, I know, move the PCI cards down... I can't every single PCI slot is used up!

Can I just remove the heatsink and cool the entire casing better?

ARGH!!!

------------------
    It is now safe to turn off your computer

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Why don't you take out the lowest PCI card and then put the video card there and then put that card in the spot that you wanted to put the Video Card in. I would not remove the heat sink, its there to help with over heating and if its at all like mine it will get extremely hot. I just ordered a cooling fan just for the VCard. I don't suggest removing the heat sink...

Michael

Um...mrailing ...its a agp card. My advice would be to buy a thiner heatsink to put on, then leave your case off and put a fan over the whole thing... or obviously buy a new MB.

What the hell are you doing with 5 friggin' PCI cards???? Just curious...what...do you have 2 NIC's or something??? The only solution I can see working out is to yank the heat sink off and try some hardcore case cooling....maybe cut a hole in the cover directly over the Voodoo3 and stick a case fan in there...other than that...one of those PCI's gots ta go!!!

Here's your answer felon2:

1 PCI Soundcard
    1 PCI DVD Decoder card
    1 PCI SCSI Controller card
    1 PCI Modem
    1 PCI LAN card
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

You might try something like the Tennmax Stealth V3 fighter (check review on bxboards.com). It's supposed to be very compact. I don't know if this would save a pci slot or not but I definitely wouldn't pull the heatsink off without doing something to cool the chip directly.

I've also seen very slim hard drive coolers and if you were to put one on each side of the board (not sure how to attach it though) I'm sure it would do the job. I don't know your mbs PCI/ISA combo but would there be any chance exchanging the LAN card or Modem card for an ISA card?

I agree with g13. I would free up a slot by getting an ISA modem. This is a cheap, fast and relatively hassle-free solution that's guaranteed to work. About $50 bucks and 15 minutes, problem solved.

Free up a pci slot by getting an ISA modem or an ISA SCSI Controller. 5 pci slots, 2 ISA slots and 1 AGP for that motherboard, but must be big.

[This message has been edited by SlyDog (edited 06-04-99).]

Thanks for helping out guys but I've thought about that already... I need to have them all on PCI's so that it can share IRQ's. As you know, both mine and Ina's computer's are filled to almost the absolute limit. I need a solution for the heatsink on the card...

Thanks people! Much appreciated!

Cheers

------------------
    It is now safe to turn off your computer

Thread Information